Which brands are the best for those owners who wish to do their own Maint. & Repairs?

In Ohio, we used to use 270 air conditioning.

1 Like

If you don’t run the AC now and then, it will start leaking refrigerant at the compressor seal.

1 Like

Does it matter when he doesn’t want it in the first place?

Thought I could change the timing belt on my Omni til I got to the point where you had to disconnect an AC hose and gave up.

1 Like

It will matter when you try to sell the car.

2 Likes

So far I am seeing a pattern here, people that don’t want AC also drive really old vehicles, I think they drive them to the wheels fall off and don’t sell their vehicle very often… So by the time they get ride of or sell them, AC probably doesn’t matter much… Nothing right or wrong with that, it is what they choose…

Bingo, you won the prize, there are so few people that do not want AC anymore that the end doesn’t justify the means, and it also seems that the ones not wanting AC are also boomers, so non AC goers are fading out little by little…

1 Like

AC runs anytime the defroster is on by default, not only does it clear the windows much better and faster, but it also keeps the AC from being dormant for long periods of time…

There may be exceptions to the rule…

3 Likes

Same here. Even mid-pandemic, it was no problem to find a fridge in-stock w/ no icemaker. It is the type configured for office break-rooms rather than home kitchens. I tried, but couldn’t find a single fridge in stock made in the USA. Mine is a GE, made in Mexico.

A point of clarification: As far as the desirability of AC, no dispute the car’s interior is cooler and more comfy in hot weather w/AC, but that’s not the question posed. What we are supposed to be addressing is what’s best for diy’ers doing their own maint and repairs.

1 Like

I’ve done quite a few K-car timing belts in the distant past and have never had to discharge the A/C.

1 Like

Next step in instructions was “remove compresser”.

sometimes, you can unbolt the compressor with the lines attached and move it out of the way, gaining access to whatever it is you need to do

1 Like

72 posts to this thread and as predicted just like the other thread like this there is not a real answer.

2 Likes

Yes. Remove belt, disconnect eletrical connector, dismount compressor and lay aside. No discharge or hose removal.

1 Like

Ice makers use up a lot of valuable room in a freezer, not all (fridges) have access to a water supply with out adding one in an older house, outside in the garage, work shop etc etc, and they are/can be problematic… There is still enough of a demand for with/with out ice makers to still have a choice…

1 Like

Done that when R&R(ing) engines many times as well… lol

Wow, we really got off topic! So I will add my two cents. Got an email sales flyer from a big box store, of the refrigerators on sale three of the five did not have ice makers.
I purchased a new refrigerator about four years ago, took a bit of online sleuthing to find what I wanted in cubic feet with ice maker/water dispenser.

Back to the original posted question. Rather than brand, I would say category. That category being midsize, 2WD, NA pickups.

Yes, but it seems that the availability of fridges w/o icemakers is growing smaller, year by year. :unamused:

1 Like

We bought a new refrigerator about 5 years ago. There were several available without ice makers. We wanted one though, and bought a fridge with the ice maker in the left side door. Ice falls into a storage container and then is dispensed below that. Cold, filtered water is dispensed in the same spot as the ice. Perfect for us.

I wanted a frig for the garage.

But I wanted one that didn’t look like a frig so if kids somehow got in, they wouldn’t steal my beer.

So I made this.

Now, who’s up about talk’n about toilets?

Tester

5 Likes

Ingenious, Tester!
:+1:

1 Like