Which Accessories are Useful?

I have to put the car in PARK to let anyone in.

That sounds like a good precaution to take even if you don’t have automatic door locks.

I don’t know if this counts, but what about the hybrid option available on some cars?

I remember seeing road sanders in the Sears catalog in the early 1950’s. The units fit in the trunk on both sides in front of the rear wheels. A hopper was filled with grit and pushing a button that was mounted on the dashboard spread the grit in front of the rear wheels. To install, you had to drill holes in the trunk on both sides. Tubes extended down in front of the rear wheels.

I am fairly lazy, But even I am not so lazy that turning on the headlights is taxing. But the again I only have had once car with automatic headlights.

Well, that’s quite a stretch from bothersome to lazy and taxing!

An example of the bothersome part would be a dusk situation where the car driver has trouble telling if their lights are on. There have been many times I thought, why doesn’t that guy turn on his lights? When you have automatic headlights, this is never an issue. So, you eventually get out of the routine of even thinking about them. Now get into a car with manual lights in the same situation and find yourself discovering they’re not on after dusk turns to dark (or you leave the city lights for the country roads). Years ago, I owned some used luxury cars that had these advanced features. Time passes, previously luxury items become mainstream and even my Chevy Trailblazer has them. But my Camry does not!

The same could be said for auto dimming mirrors, climate control etc…

That is a stretch. Hybrids really only increase gas mileage in a low percentage of all drivers. If most of your driving is highway then it will NOT save you money.

I don’t like power steering, you get more exercise without it. And I like the old hand crank on the engine ala the model T Ford. And the vacuum windsheild wipers, they didn’t use any electricity, overloading the alternater. Ah those were the “good ole days”.

That is strange, a back-up warning that only worked in reverse!!

I am almost positive that Automatic Headlights are standard on GM vehicles.

I like intermittent wipers, power steering, tilt steering wheel, adjustable seats. Yes, why don’t they bring back those triangle windows! I can barely remember them - we used to call them “no-draft” - they also seemed not to let the rain in much. I also like those adjustable seat belt anchors. OK, and it’s soo stereotypical, but yes, I am a woman and cupholders are really important - but I like the ones where you can easily put any size of beverage in (square or round) and where there is an extra holder at the top to increase stability so it doesn’t fall out (my hyundai had those and I really miss them). Oh, of course A/C is great! I thought I liked sunroofs and that they could replace A/C but I was wrong - they are good for cooling down your car quickly when it’s been in the sun, but with hatchbacks you can get the same effect by raising your hatch. However, having said that, I don’t like hatchbacks at all - you always seem to get exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment. Also sunroofs rust out pretty quickly - I haven’t had one since. I don’t like those automatic door locks - I worry about locking myself out, and if I’m going through a bad area, I make sure those doors are locked anyway. Oh, I really hate those new automatic car openers that have the alarm and such on them. I have rented a few newer cars with those - and I always seem to hit the alarm button by mistake (kind of embarrassing when it’s 6 am and you have neighbours, and you can’t figure out how to get it turned off right away). I wish ABS had never been invented. I had a Dakota with it, and it was the only vehicle that I pulled a 360 with; mind you it was on black ice, but still. I find no advantage in it, and it is very expensive to fix. Sure, you don’t have to fix it to have your brakes work, but most safety inspections require it to be working to pass. I like the folding split rear seats on smaller cars - really handy if you have to carry around a few boards or a six foot ladder. Blind spots, lol - have you ever driven a ford focus? I rented one once - what a horrid car! And the turn signals wouldn’t stay on either. I don’t like digital dashes or odometers and I was disturbed to hear about these new boxes that monitor wherever you car has gone, how fast, etc. I always laugh when car ads go on about how bumpers match the car color - who cares? I expect the car bumper to be a different color, and I would rather it was made of something durable and different than the rest of the body. I have my first vehicle with a tinted windshield, and I really like it, I can do without it, but its really nice.

Eight track.

My ford F150 has the automatic headlights. It would be nice if the headlights would come on when the windshield wipers came on. It’s a state law in Arkansas that you have to have headlights on when it’s raining.

I also find that the automatic headlights are not sensitive enough, and it gets quite dark before they come on. Thanks for letting me rant.

My Lincoln LS’s have auto-headlights, and they do turn on anytime the wipers are on. Also, I never had any trouble with them not coming on soon enough when it’s getting dark. You don’t say what year your truck is. In recent years, the Ford auto-lamp (their name for auto headlights) is not adjustable (except for turn off delay). However, older models (mid 90’s and older) are adjustable as to how dark it has to be for them to turn on. Some dash dis-assembly is required to get to the adjustment. I had to adjust it on my Thunderbird to get it to come on soon enough.

The one thing about cup holders in the new vehicles I’ve test driven is that there is no space large enough for those 32 oz cups anymore. My Civic has 1 normal sized and one larger sized cup holder in the center console and the larger sized one can hold those 32oz cups no problem.

Have a 2000 Buick Le Sabre, Favorite feature is the automatic windshield wipers, they start/ stop/ speed up/slow down based on how much rain is hitting the windshield, works perfectly. Here in Arizona when it rains it can go from a light drizzle to a heavy down pour instantly, then back to light drizzle or stop. The wipers respond immediately to whatever the condition.

You struck a nerve with the power window comment, my old Aerostar windows have never failed, however have had to replace the window regulators on all 4 doors of my 2000 Buick Le Sabre, at $400 each, doing the work myself, $400 is just for the part. After doing some research found it is a common problem for that car.

Ones I like: Power Windows/locks, A/C, CD changer, rear defroster, and keyless entry.

Ones I don’t care for. Traction/Stability Control that can’t be fully disabled. I-Drive-like like controls, CVT transmissions, and dashboards without full instrumentation.

Maybe their taking a proactive approach to slim US FAT Americans down. Who NEEDS a 32oz drink??? If you do then you probably wouldn’t even FIT in a Civic. I wonder if that’s how the Honda Fit got it’s name.

Was that directed at me? I don’t recall ever bringing up the issue of how long people keep their cars? Or even making a post containing

“I wonder, do you even have electricity in your home?? How about natural gas? Why pay for elect. and gas when you could live without it??”

Maybe their taking a proactive approach to slim US FAT Americans down. Who NEEDS a 32oz drink??? If you do then you probably wouldn’t even FIT in a Civic. I wonder if that’s how the Honda Fit got it’s name.

I like my iced tea in large quantities. :stuck_out_tongue:
and I currently drive a Civic, but the newer ones have no leg room.
I think Honda thought the Jazz name they use abroad wouldn’t appeal to the younger crowd over here.