Which Accessories are Useful?

While not considered accessories, I miss wing vent windows and plain old bench seats.

I agree totally.

I do not have memory seats and I tend to keep cars several years. When I buy my next car it might have memory seats but those would be out dated by then and seats would be adjusted by telepathy (kidding).

How long do you keep a car?? My present vehicle is almost 13 years old. With power windows and locks, and automatic transmission.

We had a 1976 Ford Granada with power windows. The car was awful in almost every respect, but the power windows never failed, even when the doors rusted out! We sold it with 108,000 miles on it and 12 years old.

The wipers were vacuum operatedand promptly stopped when going uphill with the gas pedal depressed.

These wipers were ahead of the times–they were interval wipers. They only worked during the interval when you let up on the accelerator.

one accessory I DO NOT like is the automatic door locks that lock when you put the car in gear. If you are in the back seat, you have to wait until the driver realizes you can’t get out and unlocks the doors.

Factory gun racks would be nice also.

Hmm. There would probably be a requirement to turn your name and address over to the BATF, no?

Robin Williams had a funny video recently where he was commenting on California’s Governator. He said, “he’s a moderate Republican. That’s like a gun rack on a Volvo – you don’t see too many of those.”

The Fusion I had as a loaner had a really small back window at it was pretty difficult to tell how far back someone was behind me.

I like cars with all the accessories possible,since I don’t do heavy line,driveability,transmisions,brakes or oil changes all that other stuff keeps me busy.

Agree; my car has those, and it’s supposed to be a safety item? All it does, in my opinion, is wear the locks out prematurely. I had to take this item as part of the Toyota “C” option group which has cruise control and power windows and a few other items.

…the only use I can see for a backup camera is when you are trying to hook up your trailer.

I use a back-up camera on my RV and I find it quite useful a lot of the time. It is useful for much more than just hooking up a trailer. Recently, I took it on a trip with a trailer on the back hauling a motorcycle. The rear camera was very useful for helping me know when the trailer was clear to the side so I could change lanes after passing another vehicle. Also, the rear camera is useful for ensuring I don’t hit anything with the trailer when I back it up. Keep in mind that it has a wide angle lens, so objects are closer than they appear, but you can also see a lot more from side to side than you think.

You can only see limited uses for a back-up camera because you probably haven’t used one. I once agreed with you that they had limited use, but using one has taught me something different. Many vehicles have bad blind spots, especially minivans and SUVs. Having a rear-facing wide angle camera makes a big difference.

Did your 1960 Beetle really have two fuel tanks or did it have one fuel tank with two tubes like the average motorcycle?

I use my trip odometer when following Mapquest directions since I know how far it is until the next turn.

Mine does this, and I find it a convenience. The back seat passengers can get out anytime they want. They just have to manually flip the lever from locked to unlocked. What cars don’t have a manual way to unlock the rear doors from inside?

Two tubes. You are of course correct. Please forgive the liberties!

I had to take this item as part of the Toyota “C” option group which has cruise control and power windows and a few other items.

One of the reasons I don’t like Toyota. Package groups

I was just curious. I had no idea.

I think the problem is someone getting INTO the car while the doors are locked. I have to put the car in PARK to let anyone in. The theory behind this is that is safeguards the driver from carjackings and attack. Women seem to like this feature bettter than men. When I drive through rough urban areas, I keep all the doors locked.

On the other hand someone drowned when his car ended up in the water and he could not open the door or window to get out, since they were locked.

Two I didn’t see mentioned (my apologies if I missed them); automatic headlights, on the fly 4 wheel drive.

I haven’t touched my headlight switch in years. It’s actually bothersome to get into one of my other cars and have to switch them on manually.

Sure is nice to switch into 4 wheel mode without getting out.

BTW, my rapid down electric windows can stop halfway, you just have to bump the switch when it gets to the point you want it to stop.