Where's Waldo! -= 07' Nissan Sentra Oil Leak w/ Pictures.. =-

Got under the wife’s Sentra today to give an Oil Change and noticed Oil around the lower oil pan and surrounding areas. At first I was thinking gasket for Lower Oil Pan as it looks bad. Some research though says RTF is used and it’s not a gasket in the 2007 Nissan Sentra. I then started taking some pictures and looking in from the top of engine down.

No oil anywhere around the filter but looking down I could see part of the rubber hose that was oily and took some weird angle photos which might make this difficult. Any advice before I take it over to the shop? I wanted to replace the gasket first for $20.

Notes on Pics
-1st 7 pictures are taken form the ground up
-rest of Pictures taken from up top and sticking phone down around the side of engine block
-the 2 pictures with Nissan stamped there is an -M- that shows up on the piece… what is that?

I appreciate all feedback

That looks like grease splatter from the inner CV boot. Inspect for a cut in the boot or if the large end of the boot is loose on the joint. As the boot ages they shrink a little and the clamp on the big end no longer has sufficient tension.

Nevada beat me to it. Yup, I absolutely agree. Look between the convolutions (folds) in the CV boots and I’ll bet lunch you’ll find fractured rubber. That’s where they tend to tear. Just pull the folds apart with your fingers and look with a good worklight. Don’t worry, if they’re not already torn you won’t tear them with your fingers.

I should add that #4 looks like a repair to a damaged drink plug hole, but I don’t see any sign that the repair (if it is one) is failing. I wouldn’t worry about that one.

looks like a repair to a damaged drink plug hole,

I’ll get a glass.

Actually due to the frequency of con men trying to get a free engine from the minute oil change places they always place a large paint marker dab on the oil plug.

Cool to know.
I’d say I need to get out more, but if I did “minute oil change” places would be he last places I’d go anyway. :smile:

Actually due to the frequency of con men trying to get a free engine from the minute oil change places they always place a large paint marker dab on the oil plug.

Yup. A friend who is a store manager for a nationwide tire and auto center told me a story of a guy who knew he had a worn engine that was losing oil pressure when warm. He came in for an oil change, and the next day loosened his drain plug and hit the freeway. Of course he had the car towed back in accusing them of leaving the plug loose. He would have gotten away with it if he hadn’t been bragging to his friends over a few beers about how smart he was to get a free engine replacement. One of his buddies had a conscience and ratted him out.

Kudos to his buddy. We need more honest people like him… and fewer like the guy who loosened the plug!

Thanks Nevada & Mountainbike. I’ll get back under there later and check the rubber around the CV Boot. I’d imagine that’s not too bad of a DIY job?

Actually, repairing it requires replacement of the axles. The axle assembly, that includes those boots, isn’t designed to be field repairable. Do a lot of research before attempting to change the axles, Be sure you’re up to it.

There are “split boots” available to effect a repair without removing and replacing the axles, but I haven’t heard many good things about their durability.