Where does it go?

I have a stupid question. I have a 2005 Chevy Impala and I was wondering where does the ABS speed sensor go. I can’t find a diagram to point me in the right direction. Where exactly on the engine is it.

I really don’t want to follow it back because I don’t know if I will be able to fix the wire harness or the ABS speed sensor because I don’t have all the proper tools like a jack, stands, and if I will be able to do it with out taking a wheel off and lifting the car.

The speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing assembly.

Tester

And there are 4 of them… And they are not underhood…

The 4 sensors are located at each wheel hub. The sensors are not replaceable separately. The entire hub needs to be replaced.

If instead you mean the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), it is located on the passenger side of the transmission, in the transmission housing/case at the passenger output shaft.

I don’t think I explain it that well. That is my fault. You all are correct. The speed sensor that is in the wheel hub. The wire harness that connects to sensor in the wheel hub, where does that go to. As the VSS is in the transmission. So the speed sensor on the hub goes somewhere else. Just not sure where. I just wanted to know prior so I can figure out the best to tackle it.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts inside the connectors? I did that on a Silhouette and the sensors didn’t behave badly any more. Cheap fix and easy to do on the front wheels.

The sensors send their signals to the electronic ABS control module.

Tester

Yeah I clean all 4 with electrical cleaner and it didn’t help. The shop said it was the right front sensor or wheel hub. I am cheapest fix first and work my way up to the more expensive parts. I was hoping cleaner would work since I live in Minnesota, with all that salt and snow in the winter is brutal to cars.

1 Like

Thanks Tester. I appreciate it.

The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) is located on the left side of the engine compartment. Just follow the brake lines from the master cylinder.

If you are getting an ABS light, I would suggest that you jack up the suspect wheel and check for wobble. As the wheel bearing wears down, it allows the hub ring to hit the sensor and damage it. In no time, you will suddenly not be able to drive the vehicle when the bearing fails completely. That can happen within two weeks of the ABS light coming on.

If one bearing is going out, the one on the other side will soon follow, unless this is a fairly new vehicle where the bearing failure might be a factory defect instead of normal wear.