Where are the spark plugs?

How do I locate the spark plugs on my 2002 Silverado 1500 HD 6

liter vortec? Is there a special tool for removal of the plugs?

The spark plugs are on either side of the V8…they are usually closest to your exhaust manifolds…unless they used a “Hemi” style of plug mounting which would be in the center of each cylinder. I never had to describe this to anyone b4 so…I feel like I’m having a hard time. They should be quite easy to locate however.

If the plugs are centered in the cylinders then they will be deeply recessed and you will need an extension along with your spark plug wrench and wratchet.

I don’t mean any offense - just a friendly opinion - if you have to ask a question like that then you might be better off just paying someone else.

If you’re bound and determined to mess around under the hood and can’t locate the spark plugs at least blow $20 on a repair manual (auto parts stores).

I think those could be coil over plugs. Read up on them before you do it.

I’m going to have to side with Cigroller on this one…He hit it on the head I think. A repair manual seems to be in the first order here…

First thing you want to do is buy the appropriate plugs and wires for your truck. Check what the gap is and set it on all the plugs prior to so you don’t have the “Did I gap that last plug?” fear that I did. Next locate where all your plugs are, on the V8 6.0L they are all on the sides and easy to locate.

Time:
2 hours for the first time plug replacer without all proper tools and a kid going through your toolbox.
Tools required:

* Ratchet
* Torque wrench
* Universal Joint
* Various extensions
  (6in worked for all but one)
  (...on 2003 6.0L)
* Spark Plug Socket
  (5/8ths in my case)
* Spark plug boot pullers
  (or slip joint pliers)
* Spark plug gap tool
  (if not pregapped to your truck)
* Toothbrush

Next figure out what side of the engine you are going to work on. I chose the right side and it was very simple. First off pull the upper part of the wire from the engine. This should be very easy, never pull a spark plug wire by the wire itself, it will break and make your life much harder; pull it by the rubber boot. Make sure you only pull one wire at a time, not so confusing for vehicles without distributor caps but still it maintains order.

Once you have the upper portion pulled next you will remove the wire from the plug. If you have a boot puller, attach it and give it a twist and pull and it should all come out very easy. If you only have a pair of slip joints grab it by the boot and twist it a few times. The boot will probably give you quite a bit of trouble but keep going till it is off. If the wire comes off don’t fear. Just keep working on the boot. Occasionally the boot will come off and leave the electrical connector on the top of the plug, gently pull it straight off the top of the plug at the same angle of the plug.
Supplies required:

* Spark plugs
* Wires
* Spark plug and boot gel
  (from auto store for real cheap)

Once the wire is off, remove the spark plug using your ratchet and spark plug socket. Once it is off inspect the spark plug at the bottom. Most auto guides will give you a chart to inspect by. You can see if there is unhappy things going on in your engine by spark plug inspection.

Toss the old plug away so you don’t mistake it and put it back in. Take your gapped new spark plug and coat the threads with plug gel; make sure to keep it away from the last two threads. Now carefully by hand place it back in the engine and turn it by hand as much as you can. Now turn it with the torque wrench or ratchet if you don’t have it, either to recommended tq or nice and tight, be careful not to over tighten and bust threads or break the plug.

Now add the wire gel to your new ones and connect the upper and lower boots. You should hear a slight click on the spark plug. Repeat this on all the plugs and wires.

I have to agree with Cig on this one. Normally I consider this a good DIY project, but the nature of your questions suggests that mechanical aptitude may not be your area of strength. If you break the connector on the coil, strip or crossthread the plugs on installation, or beak something else in the process, you may regret trying to change your own plugs.

Iputthelotioninthebasket mentioned a process for installing the plugs, but for a first-timer I truely think a torque wrench is an important tool. With today’s aluminum heads, it’s easy for a novice to strip or over torque the plugs, or to undertorque them for fear of stripping the threads. An undertorqued plug can find its way back out and cause problems when it pops. They’re subjected to the pressures of the exploding gas, after all.

I’d recommend in this case taking the vehicle to a reputable owner-operated shop and letting them do the work. Or work with and learn from and experienced mechanic.