When To Get Rid Of Your Car

@Docnick

My relative does have good taste, but that’s not really my point

“A 10 year old Meredes does not look outdated because of the slow changes and the low number sold.”

I beg to differ

When she sold it, the auto industry had visibly moved on. The styling was COMPLETELY out of date. All the other guys had caught up with the technology, and actually surpassed it, in most cases. At that point in time, the current Camry looked more modern, for example.

And we’re talking an E-class, one of Benz’s bread and butter cars. They sold tons of them. Might be great if it’s new, but nothing special as a 10 year old used car.

Regarding leasing a car if you can deduct it for business purposes: Don’t folks like salespeople, real estate agents, etc tend to drive a LOT? All the “Lease Offers” I see advertised always say some variant of, ‘low-mileage, ultra-low-mileage, super-extra-ultra-low-mileage, residency restrictions apply’. So what the heck good is the car if all you can do is park it in front of your business? Or do they have other types of leases for such people they don’t advertise to the general public?

I’d say I’m the opposite of folks like @asemaster . For me, familiarity breeds contentment. Driving the same car for many years, I know what its capable of, my fingers know where all the controls are, it keeps my life simple.

Another reason why one might keep a car too long is if you cannot decide what to replace it with. I’ve always had a preference for small fuel efficient manual transmission cars, I’ve had my eye on the Honda Fit as a replacement for my current car for quite awhile. But as many have stated, lives and circumstances change. As I transition from youth to middle age, such a car is not what I NEED to get going on my bucket list (I need a good workhorse pickup truck). Since I don’t drive enough to justify two “new” vehicles, and I’ve wanted that Honda Fit for so long, it can be easier to keep patching up the old car, thereby postponing the decision on what “new” (or almost new) vehicle to buy.

@EdFrugal There is no exact moment to replace a car unless it is totalled or has a catastrophic failure. A friend of my wife had a perfectly good 10 year Dodge Caravan with low mileage (around 65,000 miles). It has a small dent in the back fender. She keeps talking about replacing it with another used vehicle with high seats, since at her age and condition she has trouble getting into low cars. That means another van or an SUV/Crossover.

I advised her to get the dent removed and maybe go for a low cost paint job and just keep driving. Minivans and most SUVs are not things of beauty, so whatever she buys will not be an eye catcher.

Her previous car was a Neon which had all sorts of problems, including a head gasket failure.

Probably been said…if you can afford it, any time you want. It’s good for th economy.

Our '01 Odyssey had 192,000 miles on it, and it was getting to the point where we couldn’t get it inspected…Finally went for a newer one. A lot depends on your situation. I have time-sensitive jobs where it is kinda hard to call off. It would stress me out greatly if I had to worry about my car breaking down when it’s time to go to work. Ever try finding a substitute church organist who can do high liturgy on a half-hour notice?

I’ve known several people over the years who intentionally leased new cars every year or two “just because they wanted to”. They were not bothered by the extra money it was costing them.

When I see that, I think of the comment @asemaster made: “When do you buy new clothes?”

Yes. Knew a guy who on his third divorce decided it was too expensive. So, he remarried his third wife and decided to just buy a new car every other year. It was cheaper. You change your sox every day. Nothing wrong with changing your car every once in a while.

doubleclutch: "church organist who can do high liturgy’

interestingly, my brother had a similar job in Phila until recently, at the Cathedral-Basilica.

My relatives in Holland have to submit their cars to rigorous annual checkups for both safety and emissions.
The joke was that he would trade cars when the ashtrays were full.

Funny, my dad said the same thing about his friend who traded in his car every year. Otto would pull into the driveway in another car and my dad would yell out “Hey Ott, is je asbak alweer vol?”

Speaking of dads, mine only had 3 cars in his whole life, now in his 80’s and not driving any more. He was given 3 different company cars too, but would refuse to drive them-I was lucky enough to drive the free loaners. I had changed 3 cars already by age 21 and have to sit and count to see where I am now.

@dagosa

During lunch break, one of my colleagues said that a few years ago, he was thinking about asking his wife for a divorce :worried:

But he did the math, and realized he couldn’t afford to divorce her, so he “forgot” all about it and never mentioned it to her :grimace:

However, I have no idea if he’s happily married now, or miserable :neutral:

Obviously, he didn’t “forget” all about it, if he told me :wink:

When Armageddon insists she has just one more home-made, miracle, interior, conditioning elixir to try which she personally guarantees will absolutely, positively return your old dilapidated bomb to like brand spanking new.

Here’s another good reason: Safety
I plan to regretfully sell our trusty '98 Ranger – the most bulletproof and dependable car we’ve ever owned – for a safer car. I have yet to add a single drop of oil between changes even after 128K miles, it has cost far less than $1K in unplanned maintenance after 15 years (and all that went to two air mass flow sensors), it has no rust other than a couple of minor surface spots, the paint still looks great, it still feels solid, and it runs just fine for a truck.

Still, I am getting older (and less physically resilient) so I need to consider collision safety. and new cars are far safer than anything built in '98. I recently had a car lose traction on their bald tires, nearly running into my door at a high speed, and it was pretty scary. If you go on iihs.org and look at the safety-related videos, you’ll understand that safety is a good reason to buy a newer car with side air bags, automatic braking, back-up cameras, and all the other improvements our car companies have made over the past decade (my Ranger has none of these).

@satisficer Thanks for the comment. This thread has produced a wide range of reasons for parting with your vehicle. Many were not purely economic. A lot seems to depend on the type of use; is it a a) business car, b) daily family commuter, c) second or third car grocery hauler, d) hobby car or d) restored classic.

I agree, as we age we have often changing needs. A late friend in his 60s bought a Mazda MX5 sports car. His back hurt so bad he had to sell it and buy something easier to get into.

It is time to develop a “car suit” to protect everyone inside a vehicle. 12 million to protect each astronaut in a space suit wasn’t too much to spend. How much would it cost to offer a suit that would protect us? I bet some of you creative engineering/car-savvy types could design something to strap on that would save thousand of lives and do it economically.

For my contribution, I’m trying to find a manufacturer for a full size “Bop Bag” a “punch me in the face” clown, guaranteed to sell millions.

@uncleharry

I think your user name should be uncle fester, because you’re whacko

What planet is in your user picture . . . Saturn?

Tis.
BTW, Uncle Fester, (kinda like that name, thanks) do you know whose face I would plaster all these Bop Bags? Hint, it will be the biggest gag Christmas present of all time.

BTW2, I was thinking of you when I suggested designing a car suit. You could do it. No doubt. Why fill a car with safety bags, collapsible steering wheels, crumple zones, ABS, etc., and not provide a flexible, light weight, extra hard, stainless steel (or fiberglass) body armor suit for drivers and passengers? Guaranteed-One day it will be chic to be be seen in the latest fashion riding gear! (The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry featured a safe car back in the 50’s. Twas ugly beyond belief, but promised to protect the contents. No one would buy one–the only problem.)
The big three fought government mandated safety equipment, design, improvements until it became hip. Now, they take credit for it.

@uncleharry

Right now, I can’t get the Addams family movie out of my head . . . the one from the 1990s, with Raul Julia, Anjelica Huston and Christopher Lloyd

One of my favorite parts was when Uncle Fester was observed to be shaving his head, and they thought he was an imposter

Okay! I’ll tell ya. Put a nice big fat juicy picture of the Trump face on a Bop Bag and get ready to haul in the bucks.

@uncleharry , I think you’re too late with that idea. I’ve heard on several news outlets that Donald Trump pinatas are a hot item this season, especially in Latino communities.

Your “car suit” idea reminds me of a comedian I once heard talking about the “black box” data recorders on airplanes. Since the “black box” always seems to survive the crash intact, they should just go ahead and build the whole airplane out of whatever they build the “black box” out of, that way everyone will survive the crash.