When is tuneup needed, 2007 Corolla

Just because a tire shows no cracks, doesn’t mean it’s a safe tire.

Tester

You want to do a tuneup BEFORE a misfire code is fired. The plugs will have degraded enough to warrant a tune-up, but not misfire. But I agree…for this vehicle it’s too soon.

Thanks for the encouragement.

so I did take the car in today, did not get a tuneup, but did get new transmission fluid (took their word for it that it was dirty, but who knows), got inspected, oil and filter, and everything checked. They wanted to do a tuneup, but I stayed strong and said no…

for a car this far out of warranty, perhaps it is time to find a local independent shop for your maintenance needs. they can do all the same work as the dealer, at a fraction of the labor cost- and if you find a good, trustworthy one- won’t try to upsell you every time you come in like the dealership will.

Doesn’t have to be out of warranty to find a good independent.

you’re not wrong. :slight_smile:

I had a great mechanic, but their shop was gentrified out of existence, haven’t found another yet.

1 Like

Replacing plugs on this engine is as easy as it can be. Only buy the plugs specified (Denso I think), I got them from the dealer at a very good price. All the parts stores had equivalents, do not use them.

Your plugs should be good for 100K miles.

Change the oil and filter, and the air filter and this engine will last a long time.

What do they mean by this? Unless they tell you what it means, you don’t know what you are agreeing to, or declining.

I would change the brake and power steering fluid; clean the throttle body, change the intake manifold gasket.
That’s what I’ve done with my 2006 Matrix.

Thanks for asking al46,

This was a very informative thread, and it forced to to discover that I have a timing chain, rather than a belt. I did have a chain fail on a '72 Mustang. One afternoon, the car wouldn’t start, so it was towed to a garage. It ran perfectly well that same morning, which leads me to think: Wouldn’t the car act funny when a timing chain is about to fail? If so, what are the signs of this?