When could we first pump our own gas?

In 1966, our local Phillips 66 gastation would give a nice avocado green glass dinner plate, dessert plate or drinkinglass with a fill-up. We used themanyears.
Why named Phillips 66?

Thank you.
PS: I always locate themergency shut off button.

For route 66the Chicago to LA highway.

2 Likes

I think I started pumping my own gas around 1977 in Ohio. We had a few Phillips 66ā€™s around but I normally used Sohio or Shell.

I really do not recall at all but it must have been about 1975. But even if you did your own you had to get there before they closed. Not like now where you can go anytime with plastic.

the ā€œPhillips 66ā€ name for the gasoline came about by a combination of events.[5] The specific gravity of the gasoline was close to 66; the car testing the fuel did 66 miles per hour; and, the test took place on US Route 66.[5] So, the naming committee unanimously voted for ā€œPhillips 66

By 1981 you could pump your own gas in every state ecxept Oregon and New Jersey

Hint: In NJ you can pump your own gas, despite the belief that some type of mythical gasoline police are going to jump out from behind the pump and put handcuffs on your wrists. In fact, most attendants thank me for doing it. So much for a prohibition on pumping your own gasā€¦

But, to return to the topic of gas station giveaways, back in the '60s, there was a discount gas station in my county that used to give a small bag of ā€œtraction gritā€ with each fill-up during the winter.
In the warmer months, they gave a roll of toilet paper.
Bothā€“very practical!

Back then we also chose breakfast cereal based on the ā€˜prizeā€™ in the box.

1 Like

Some time in the mid 70ā€™s here in the Midwest. Back before regular gas went above 99.9Ā¢ a gallon.

Gastation attendant stole the gas cap fromy 1961 Volvo 544.
Drove with a rag plugging the filler opening.
Manager paid for a gas cap I bought from an auto partstore.
Friend said it should be Volvo, but I did not care.

Cannot remember when this happened.
Soon after, we could pump our own gas and then go in and pay for it.
A Conoco station operated by my girlfriend would have drive-offs.
Not possible now anywhere that I know.

1970, at a 7-11

1 Like

In 1969 while in high school I worked part time in a gas station run by the now defunct Kerr McGee oil company. (Of Karen Silkwood fame)

We had a couple of self-serve pumps on the far outside island but most were full service.

1 Like

I guess itā€™s just largely unenforced like the 55 mph speed limit back in the days. Unless you encounter some Hitler-in-my-pocket, HOA president, petty tyrant, busybody.

No, itā€™s totally unenforced. When I still had free access to the stateā€™s law databases, I searched for cases of people being given citations for violation of that regulation, and foundā€¦ zeroā€¦ since it was instituted in 1949. And yet, the vast majority of the stateā€™s population cowers in fear ofā€¦ somethingā€¦ if they dare to touch the gas pump.

I remember driving through Oregon in the mid-'70s. We came from California and were used to pumping our own. We didnā€™t know about Oregonā€™s rule, went to pump our own, a guy rushed out and stopped us. I never pumped my own in the '60s, but that was Maryland.

Well, the attendants in NJ are apparently much more laid-back than the ones in Oregon.
:wink:

Yeah right, dream on. I got two tickets in one month on the freeway. Three and I would have been a habitual offender. They used to hide just over the rise so you couldnā€™t see them. No mercy. They loved it. Had nothing to do with safety on the same road that before that had been 70 mph. One of the guys was a friend of the family. He used to brag about ticketing one of the MN Twins. I think it cost me $75. So yeah, you know, rules are rules, but there are stupid rules too. So if it is not enforced, why donā€™t they take it off the books? You know the reason-a five letter word.

From what I can find theyā€™re trying to get it off the books but it hasnā€™t happened yet.

Yes, the 55 speed limit was a speed trapā€™s dream. However, I had one conversation with somebody and I said ā€œI wish they would either enforce the 55 speed limit or get rid of itā€. The other person said, ā€œItā€™s really no problem, everybody knows you can go 70 on I 35 and 65 on Highway 71 without getting pulled overā€ and I replied, ā€œIf itā€™s ok to go 70 on I 35, I want the signs to say soā€.
At first, when Nixon called for the 55 speed limit, it was a temporary measure for a fuel shortage emergency and most people cooperated. Then during the Carter administration, it was decided to make it permanent to save lives. People just got tired of driving 55 and it wasnā€™t long before everybody became a speeder. If you obeyed it, everybody would pass you including police not in pursuit.
This experience is one of the main reasons I am not a fan of laws that are not enforced.

If you want to see a true speed trap dream, come to my area, where the powers-that-be have set a 30 mph speed limit on a couple of rural roads that adjoin open farm fields, with no houses, driveways, or intersections, and with a clear view of the road ahead for a minimum of 1/4 mile at all points.

It was this situation that caused me to buy a Valentine-1 radar detector, and it has paid for itself many times over.

I would write them asking why such a low speed limit.
For farmers using the roads to get heavy equipment out of their fields?

(Yesterday got flashed by a photo speed van for traveling 41 mph in a 30 mph zone.
Light bar was operating but no sireneeded.)