Wheels on a Wrangler, do they do something special with the extra Screw or whatever near the outside of the rim?

?

These are aftermarket rims with much less offset than stock. You’ll need to talk to whoever made these aftermarket rims for the definitive answer to your question, but those screws look cosmetic.

I tried searching the internet, did not see anything similar, and it was in a parking lot and did not have an opportunity to talk to the owner.

1 Like

How appropriate

Goodyear Wrangler tires on a Jeep Wrangler

:thumbsup:

5 Likes

+1
Rather than being a screw, the five “things” near the outer edge of the rim appear to be some kind of design affectation, instead of a screw or anything else of a functional nature.

2 Likes

I agree. Blowing up the photo as much as I can, the slots look much too shallow to be useful.

I did exactly the same thing as Bill and had exactly the same impression.

Many real racing wheels are multiple parts. Many race car wheels are designed to allow the beads of the tires to be able to clamp onto the rims to withstand extreme offroad stresses and the torque from 10,000 horsepower nitro engines on slingshot rails trying to spin tires with extreme traction.
Bing Image Inspiration Feed?

You can see from the distortion on this tire the reason why.

A common slang name for these low pressure drag slicks is “ripplewalls”, because they’re actually designed to be able to do this to absorb some of the torque in the sidewalls to be released as the tread surface catches up with the rim. Without this ability, the traction surface would break too readily.

Offroad tires also run low pressure to enhance traction, absorb big bumps, and enhance floatation in mud and very soft surfaces.

Over the years this has prompted countless wheels with cosmetic rim bolts in a variety of patterns to emulate this. Your Jeep has one such variation. Being a purist, I never really cared for superfluous, superficial cosmetics in wheels, but it’s just a matter of taste, no more superfluous than the spoiler I put on my Vega. :grin:

2 piece wheels are becoming popular due to assembling an outer custom wheel half to inner halves of various widths. One inner blanks fit many outer custom designs. The customer buys the wheel style and then chooses the rear that gives the desired width for front and rear.

One must be careful…

A child was born with a screw in his belly button.

He was always told, “Never touch that screw!”

When he asked, “Why not?”, no one knew the answer.

Finally, as a teenager, he couldn’t stand it any more and unscrewed it…

And his butt fell off.

;-]

2 Likes

I agree with others that those screws are for cosmetic purpose only. Beadlock wheels usually have 24 beadlock bolts to install an outer ring for off-road purposes.

FYI, Wrinklewall, TSM, not Ripplewall.

Look down in the Drag Racing Slicks section.

An an add to your discussion of bead-lock wheels. Some off-road wheels are designed with a bolt-on outer section to allow you to more easily hand-mount tires in the field by un-bolting the outer flange that carries the bead area. Like these;

FYI, I’ve never heard them called wrinklewall. Where I’m from they’re called ripplewalls.
And I was stationed with buddies from other parts of the country that also called them ripplewalls.

To quote a former Secretary of State, “what difference does it make?”

1 Like

Well, to be fair, you should use the entire quotation, namely, “At this point, what difference does it make?”.
:pensive:

LOL, fair enough. :grin:

Those are likely cosmetic touches on that wheel in the OP pic…

It’s also the rage right now to have fake beadlock rims, though that doesn’t look like them–I just thought I’d throw that out there while we’re on the subject of fancy-schmancy wheels.

Beadlock rims on 4x4 trail rigs are typically used due to the low tire pressures used off road. I usually air down to 12 lbs or so when I’m trail riding and it’s not uncommon for people to run lower pressures than that. Here’s a shot of a real beadlock rim.

Really, no difference. I didn’t know the term was regional, I’d always read it as “wrinklewall” in magazines.

It’s not regional, that’s what they’re called- wrinklewalls.
I know plenty of people involved in the sport from around the country- nobody has ever called them anything else. That’s what the manufacturer’s call them as well.

Fine. If you want it your way, have it your way. I accept the slang term wrinklewall, but apparently you two cannot accept the slang term ripplewall. That’s sad.

Perhaps you both just need to get out and travel the country more. You might learn something. You might even learn that slang varies.
End of discussion.

You have pulled this same line out before. It’s getting old. Your buddies in the military are the source of all wisdom and terminology…

Wrinklewall isn’t slang, it’s the actual name given to them by the people that make them.

Here’s an exceprt directly from Goodyear, the people that make the tire in your photo-

And since you can’t read my post the first time, I already said that I have plenty of friends through actual drag racing from all parts of the US and spent many years in the sport and conversing through chat boards with people from all over. NO ONE has EVER called one a ripplewall…

I think the more likely reason is you twisted it up in your own mind over time and can’t seem to admit it. What’s sad is when someone just can’t bring themselves to admit they are dead wrong and cling to an illusion in their mind…

I have nothing else to say on the subject. I don’t have a problem with other slang terms. If you do, that’s your problem.

I’m also sorry you never got to serve. Living with others from all over the country, serving in different and living in parts of the country, and spending time in other countries of the world greatly broadens ones acceptance of differences.

When your posts become personal attacks, and they often do, at that point I bow out of the discussion. I’m sorry you can’t deal with that. But that isn’t my problem. I’m interested in discussing cars. Not engaging in or getting drawn into personal attacks.

Now, on to cars.