Wheel "Whiskers"

I know that there is some sort of wire apparatus that you can install that will scrape against the curb so you know you are close enough without actually scraping the wheel/tire.

Can anyone tell me what these are called so I don’t sound like a total dunce at the shop?

I googled auto whiskers and found something called “Curb Feelers” they show pics of older cars using them, don’t know if this helps.

good luck!

Curb feelers are what they called them in the good old days. Find the oldest employee in the store, and he can probably help you out.

Thanks a bunch

Curb feelers, just as all have stated. When alloy rims starting getting popular I bought a set and they do work, you can hear them rubbing the curb. They were sold under the “Champ Products” or “Help” product names at good auto parts stores.

I’ve been told they were called “Curb Feelers” back in the 70’s. Frankly they look ridiculous, and (at least to me) scream “I’m an incompetent driverr.”

Here you go.


You may get asked a few questions about these once installed as few people use them or even know what they are.

Odd though they are, they work. (My daughter should have these on her cars since her right side wheels/tires seem to have a magnetic attraction to curbs.)

ah…the glass is half empty for foDaddy. I figured they were for the drivers who cared about thier tires and wheel covers/rims. But I agree that they look odd.(no offense intended)

They may not work on a modern car because usually they attach by clamping onto the little lip of sheet metal that hangs down around the car body, but most unibody cars these days don’t have them. Maybe they have some sort of new magnetic ones, but they tend to be sold as retro/hotrod accessories these days so they still clamp.

FYI, the modern way of doing this is to tilt down the right mirror so you can see your wheels while you’re parking. Curb feelers were popular in the days when most cars didn’t have right mirrors at all, let alone power-operated ones.

No problem fitting, they will clamp onto the pinch weld