Wheel weight? Or not

Is this a complete wheel weight? Or part of one? There’s no lead. It was mounted next to a 1.0 weight on my wheel. This ad says the bare one is a 1/4oz. Maybe I should put it back?
Perhaps the “25” means it’s a 1/4 oz. I see the metal tab is much wider then the 1/2oz tab

It looks like the top part of a wheel weight.

The .25 ounce/7 gram weight is a steel clip with no additional weight.

1 Like

That is a complete wheel weight

Ford uses a very similar type of wheel weight for their steel rims

1 Like

I found the weight pics after I asked question. Now I know a weight can just be a steel clip.

1 Like

The stamping appears “25MCFe7” . I wonder what all that means? Presumably the “25” means 0.25 ounce. Seems like it would be more clear for the stamping to say “0.25” or “1/4”. “MC” presumably is the name of the company that makes that item. “FeZ”, , maybe refers to what it is made of, iron& zinc alloy.

MC = shape of the flange the weight is designed to fit. The other alternatives are P, AW, LH, IAW, EN, FN, TN, BWN, and MBN.

Wheel Weight Chart

2 Likes

That is funny cause I remember only having 3 wheel weight types for the most part, metal wheels, aluminum wheels and stick on weights… Then when I started at the last place anytime I went to balance a tire I had to ask which weight type to use… I could teach someone the proper way to balance a wheel/tire and how NOT to counter balance but always had to ask which weight to use for the wheel being balanced… :rofl:
But I only balanced when someone needed help those last years… Or I got a little bored… :crazy_face:

Or as norm McDonald said, chairman of the bored.

Oops, thanks

To keep the topic interesting, here are two more types of tire weights. The ones on the left are Adhesive Stick-On weights. The one pictured are 1/4 ounce, but they also come in heavier weights and are usually used on the inside of custom wheels and mag-style motorcycle wheels. The ones on the right are intended for use on wheels with spokes such as spoked motorcycle wheels and since they are machined, they are expensive and you pay for the balancing and each weight used… They also make a lead-alloy version that is simply crimped onto the spoke but I have not seen any of them in quite a while… Most everyone I know has the adhesive weights on their motorcycle wheels, even on chrome spoke wheel, they are discrete.

During daily walk-about I routinely find the type that attach to the outside of the rim, and to a much lesser extent the adhesive version, laying on the road or in the gutter. I don’t think I’ve ever found the spoke type, they must hold on better.

Those weights are for motorcycles, they don’t get knocked off by curbs.