Found wheel weight stamped "MC-Zn"

Any ideas what that means? Another number stamped on it , “1.5”, which I presume means it is a 1.5 ounce weight. I’m thinking the Zn means Zinc, but even if that’s correct, no idea what the MC means.

“MC” is the clamping style for certain aluminium wheels, it matches the shape of the wheel lip. There are many specific types of clip-on wheel weights for steel and aluminum wheels.

Zn is definitely Zinc.

Yup. Zinc and lead are the most common wheel weight materials, along with steel.

Lead weights have been illegal for years now.

True, but they’re still around.

Second vote for MC referring to the shape of the weight - one that matches the rim contour. I think there are 4 or 5 different kinds. - opps! There are 7, not counting tape on weights.

Here’s a chart: http://www.perfectequipment.com/content/site/dateien/9672013_PEI_ApplicationGuide.pdf

Wow, @CapriRacer I had NO idea there were as many different clip styles! Thanks!

Informative wheel weight link there, thanks. Seems “MC” type wheel weights fit Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Eagle, Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac & Saturn

That is a great link, Capri, and I thank you for it. Like others, I had no idea there was so much variety available. :yum:

Here’s another puzzle. The complete set of writing on the wheel weight in question: “1.5 MC-Zn 43”

Assuming 1.5 means 1.5 ounce, and MC-Zn already explained, I wonder what the “43” means?

43 grams = 1.5 oz!

I think you solved the final wheel weight puzzler there @CapriRacer … excellent work!

When it comes to wheels and tires, Capri has solved many a puzzle! He’s a good man to have on board. :wink:

This discussion PROVES why the “solution” checkmark is not a good idea

This discussion was “solved” 9 days ago, yet it’s alive and well

:smirk:

Are you objecting to the word “solved” then for that check-mark @db4690 ? It’s true, nothing is ever completely solved. I interpret a post checked as “solved” as meaning it is the most helpful of the posts in the thread to date. According to the needs of the OP. And that might prove a valuable time saving method for somebody with the same problem and not having enough time to read through every post in the thread.

I’ve already talked about this before, and my position hasn’t changed

The whole “solved” idea wasn’t a good one, to begin with

I call it as I see it

:smiling_imp: