Wheel ramps or jack stands to change oil?

This reminds me of the time my cousin removed the carb from his Ford Straight 6, 240 I think, and he decided to put some wadded up toilet paper into the intake manifold hole to prevent debris from falling in there while he worked on the carb. Then he decided that would also be a good time for a compression test – yeah, you guessed it, he forgot to remove the toilet paper and it got sucked into the engine during the compression test … lol … worked out ok, it didn’t seem to cause any permanent damage.

Why not paper towels than TP? Towels are cheaper and heavier duty. You don’t need squeezable soft for working on engines.

@Nevada_545

I’m quoting Robert Gift . . . it’s from this very discussion

“With toilet paper I thoroughly clean the oil filter area”

That’s why I mentioned the Frantz filters . . . which sure look like toilet paper to me

Geez, Louise . . . you failed to see that I wasn’t being serious, in SPITE of the fact that I used the “naughty” emoticon

And I suspect you don’t even have a sense of humour . . . at least as far as the toilet paper filter is concerned :frowning: You might have the most sophisticated sense of humour at all other times, but not in this instance

Since Robert mentioned toilet paper, it’s fair that I also mention it.

Therefore I interjected some humour, AND a vintage Tom and Ray discussion. AND it was automotive

I notice that George and Robert apparently have no problems with my comments :star:

Bing Toilet paper is cheaper and more absorbant. One square at a time.
First square removes gross accumulation. Next, more. Plus the square fits into smaller places. Bigger paper towel can rub against other surfaces and knock grime loose.
Uh-oh. I am OCD!

@“Robert Gift”

:naughty:

I shouldenda said anything. I have a towel holder in the garage. If I put a TP holder there, people might really start to ask questions. At my age its not hard to be declared incompetent and off ya go to the farm.

Ya know I was always pissed our accountant would not approve kleenex for purchase, a personal item he says. So I took a bunch of old cd stems, put a roll of tp and a lable that says kleenex, Luckily the accountant is not in control of my home use where I prefer a paper towel over toilet paper.

Remembering cheapest people contest, one family spent Friday night separating 2 ply tp onto 2 separate rolls.

The problem with TP is that it’s formulated to fall apart when it gets wet. Paper towels are formulated to stay together.

I have a constant supply of old T shirts and underwear from our family of four. Cut them in pieces and use them as “shop rags”. TP gets pretty expensive for my cheap brain.

@galant

I’ve done the same thing in the past

However . . . I’ve noticed that a “real” shop rag really is better at picking up spilled grease, oil, etc. than an old t-shirt

ok4450: My 1991 Jeep was the last vehicle I changed oil myself. The following cars had the low air dams that hit the ramps long before the tires. Dealership has $29.95 oil/filter change so it’s a no brainer for me.

Toilet paper is cheaper and more absorbant. One square at a time

Now THAT is frugal to a fault.
ONE square?
Too much risk of a finger poke through… :wink:

TP oil filters were popular when some cars had no oil filter or it was optional and the cars that did have filters did not have full flow filters so only part of the oil flowed through them. People did not obsess about the quality of an oil filter then and many car caller for a filter change every other oil change.

Didn’t AMSOIL filters use TP?

Amazing that some cars had no filter or partial filtering.
At least partail filtering would clean the oil and a clog would not diminish oil flow.

The toilet paper filter appeared to be very effective.
His oil always looked clean and fresh.
Looked so good that I wanted to put his used oil in my 1961 Volvo 544.

Don’t be fooled. The TP oil filters, sold when I was young, were not effective at all. There were numerous tests with these products years ago by consumer magazines and they failed 100%. Every single tester warned against them.

Save your TP for your hygiene needs.

I dunno, I do my own. I don’t need to drive 30 miles and make an appointment. Plus what ticked me off last time was I paid like $70 to the Acura dealer and they used a synthetic blend instead of full synthetic for the same price. I can do my own with Mobil 1 and a Honda filter for about $30 in 30 minutes picking my nose. I can’t hardly go to the GM dealer for an Acura oil change either. They hold grudges and the same guy owns the Chrysler dealership, and I haven’t stepped foot in the Ford dealership for 50 years. And I don’t trust the rest. So there I go. I’ll do it myself. I’m going to have to leave a book of instructions though for those left behind if I happen to go to the great beyond.

Don't be fooled. The TP oil filters, sold when I was young, were not effective at all.

I saw how clean his oil appeared. Were additives “worn out”? Likely.
Was the oil breaking down due to age and use? Likely.
That is why he still changed what appeared to be fresh oil.

I’ve used both.
What I like about jack stands: 1. I can do it myself. 2. I usually try to have the car on the 2 stands and the jack, with the jack doing most of the holding and the stands a little and taking over if something happened to the jack. 3. The wheels are off the ground so I can turn them to get to the grease fittings. 4. You can use jack stands on most cars.
What I don’t like about jack stands: 1. No matter where I put them, they always seem to be in the way. 2. They seem to be less stable than ramps, at least to me.

What I like about ramps: 1. They get the vehicle higher off the ground. 2. They seem more stable to me.
What I don’t like about ramps: 1. It takes someone to spot you; even then, I’ve got this fear that I’ll drive off the ramps or they’ll slide out. 2. I can’t turn the wheels. 3. Many cars don’t have enough ground clearance in the front to use ramps.

I guess the last few years, I’ve used jack stacks more often than ramps.

I also team my stands up with the jacks for extra insurance when I use stands. I think it’s good practice.

Driving up onto ramps does take some practice… preferably with a spotter.
My front bottom edge clears my ramps by about 1/8". No exaggeration.

If they weren’t so expensive I’d get some kevlar air bags for lifting, like emergency responders use. They’d be so much faster and easier… but I’d back them up with stands.

You have grease fittings?