Wheel ramps or jack stands to change oil?

I have been straddling the gutter in front of the house.
What I don’t like.

1. On my back cleaning the oil filter mount when someone’s sprinkler system run-off goes down my neck.
  2. Wind blows dust and grit after I have cleaned everything.
  3. Dog comes down the sidewalk and lifts its leg on my 5-quart bottle of Mobil 0W-20 full synthetic oil.

Why don’t you spring for some ramps?

What? And miss all the fun!
I found heavy load jack stands at a garage sale!
Someone donated a little wheeled hydraulic floor jack.
Will see how this all works out. Can I change the new oil filter element
without making a mess?
To remove all the old oil, I like to let the vehicle drain for a while.

Be Sure You’re Using The Proper “Lift Points” When Jacking Up The Vehicle(s). Otherwise Damage Can Occur.

I always purchase the official Factory Service Manuals for all my vehicles. They have these details. My GM cars have a safe jacking point in the center of front and rear. I can lift there and set it on stands outboard of the that, on other proper points, so I can access the underbelly.

Perhaps this info is in the Owner’s Manual (but I doubt it). Try online.

You’ll probably want something more heavy duty than a 1-1/2 ton jack. Some of them won’t lift even that much.
CSA

You have grease fittings? Yep. I have a '97 Blazer; I guess this was before sealed bearings/joints were more widely used. Being able to turn the wheels helps to access them.

Thank you, CSA. I will look at its load specifications.
Maybe only enough for one side at a time. Must also learn the center lift points.

Because of the low clearance, I welded up a couple of ramp extensions that work fine. About a foot long, angle iron frame and plywood surface, with a couple bolts that hook into the holes in the ramps. Just hook them into the bottom portion of the ramp to give a little more gentler rise and work fine. Plus they can be removed while working on the car if they are in the way. Like I said though I really don’t use them for oil changes. Just can’t see going to all the work of jack stands for a 30 minute job with 10 minutes of that under the car.