Wheel bearings

I got a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 liter and I need to replace the front wheel bearing, I bought the parts and I’m wondering what I’ll be paying to have this done at a garage, any ideas?

Ask your local auto parts store – the place where you bought it – if they can press it into the hub for you, if you remove and bring the hub to them. That’s one idea at least.

Be aware that some shops will be reluctant or even refuse to install a wheel bearing that they didn’t source.

My local auto parts store presses in wheel bearings that for its customers if you bring the hub to them, and buy the bearing from them. For a fee of course, but its reasonable.

It may be more problematic to do it that way on a front wheel bearing though, as removing the hub may mean you’d need a complete front end alignment. It’s an option though.

The price can vary wildly based on shop rates, locale, if they adhere strictly to the flat rate manual, whether or not problems are encountered (rust), etc, etc. Some shop rates may be 60 an hour; others may be 160 an hour.

It could also be that a shop may refuse to install a customer supplied part and there are very good reasons why refuse to do so.
Call around for a few estimates but do not get upset at the shop if they charge more or turn the job down because of customer parts.

Somewhere around 3 hours is a fair guess for most cars. When I do bearings I have the tools to do them on the car. Saves time and having to do the alignment in most cases. You may have a difficult time finding a shop to install your parts, most shops prefer to sell what they install.

Steve

I’ll let people bring their own parts, but I make sure they understand that I cannot guarantee the part or the labor.

They might bring in a alternator and I’ll put it on. Then 90 days later they complain that it’s not charging. Even if they can find the reciept for the alternator and get a replacement, I’ll still charge to swap out the replacement.
I didn’t buy it and had no control over the brand or quality, so it’s not my responsibility.

I had a guy that insisted on getting the cheapest fuel pump. he went thru three of them in a year and I charged him each time for the labor. He was upset until I remined him that I warned him to get a mid price one at least. Now he had to pay for being cheap.

The fourth pump I picked out and it’s been faithfull for 5 years now.

Yosemite

@Yosemite … I admire your attitude towards letting a customer bring their own parts. I never let any of my customers bring in any parts at all because the trouble it caused was not worth the time or effort. The aggravation caused by this policy is not something I wanted to live with every day. I did discount the price of the part for my repeat customers sometimes so I’m flexible on that. Besides…my markup was about 10%. Anything over that is price gouging in my opinion.

I see your point @Missileman, but I do rarely have anyone bring in parts. Maybe I should have said that.

When they do I can normally convince them that I could have gotten it at that price or just a little more.

Most realize that they spent all that time and effort for little gain and then let me get the parts next time.

Yosemite

To the OP: I would not bring parts to a repair shop do do the whole job for me. That said, I’ve had pretty good luck with (for instance) bringing in the steering knuckle and having the shop press in the bearing for me, for a one-time fee.

(Incidentaly, have we actually determined this vehicle has press-in bearings?)

Unless Autozone is wrong, their site showed a press in bearing.

Yosemite