What's the best time of day to check oil?

I have 2.5 acres with 1.5 acre of lawn. I have a 45" walk-behind industrial mower and it takes me 1.5 hours to mow. When I retire and downsize my house - I’m also downsizing my lawn.

LOL, naw, that’d be much too simple for Red Green!

I’m mowing my lawn, trimming, and running a blower right now! Oh, wait! That’s not me, it’s some landscaping crew with a bunch of workers I hear down on the ground below, ha, ha…

… The joke will soon be on me because when I get back up north the grass will probably be a foot high with sticks everywhere. I’ll look around, but there won’t be anybody except me to handle it. I have to replace that house with a condo soon!
CSA :palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

You already did. You just haven’t sold the old house yet. One or two seasons of a shabby yard in MI might convince you that one home is the way to go. OTOH, there might still be a foot of snow on the ground that hasn’t melted yet.

Who would have thought we’d be up to 64 responses? Yeah last week we were snowed in and this week it’s 70 degrees? Most snow is gone now.

It’s a good point about checking oil on the level which is an advantage to Florida. Lots of level except for @Whitey s driveway. But I believe in precision so to answer the question, the best time is 10:34 am and second best would be 2:15 pm. Other than that, any time.

I always like to schedule meetings at odd times just to make a point of when they would start. So instead of 2:00, it would be 2:07. No one would dare come in at 2:10. So 10:34 it is for checking oil.

1 Like

I once had to hustle to get to a 2:00 group meeting in the boss’s boss’s office. I walked in at 2:03 and saw I was the first to arrive. I said to “Mr. Big” sitting behind his desk, “Whew, I thought I was going to be late.” He just looked up at me and said, “You ARE late!” Well, couldn’t argue with that…

;-]

Worst thing is when the meeting only lasts a couple of minutes and its all over the time you get there.

Having meetings was a problem at my old employer. People would come in late and information would be repeated twice or more times, making meetings painful for those that came on time. They started a new program. Meetings started on time. If someone was late, they missed whatever happened before they got there. Meetings also ended on time. If the meeting was scheduled for 30 minutes, it ended after 30 minutes. If there was unfinished business, another meeting was scheduled to address it. The new meeting system worked well.

We had a company in NH (Cabletron) wherein the two founders eliminated seats in the meeting rooms and had the conference tables made to standing height. The idea was that attendees would not waste time if they all had to stand. I have no idea if it worked. All I know is that Cabletron ended up defunct anyway due to technology obsolescence.

He’d probably rig up a radio control for the lawn mower. Sit on the deck with a cold beer while steering the mower around the lawn with a RC transmitter. Maybe even put a camera on the mower for first person view radio control mowing while wearing virtual reality goggles. Heck, we don’t need self driving cars, we need self mowing lawn mowers.
If only the prolific white tail deer population in our neighborhood grazed on grass instead of eating shrubbery!

They are here now .

You can already buy one; and it doesn’t even need to be steered. Once you program it, it works like an iRobot Roomba.

Perhaps we just need to stop being so obsessive about huge lawns. Many other countries most folks don’t even have lawns, and many grow flower gardens instead.

Gave new meaning to the word Stand-up meetings.

That’s one opinion. I consulted to them once for a 6 month contract. They wanted to renew the contract and I declined. They were a very poorly run company. Management had no idea what they were doing. At times there were engineers sitting at their desks for weeks on end because there was nothing for them to do. And then there’s the security scandal in 2007.

I’ve got a big lawn up north, but I certainly am not obsessive about it, not like my neighbor who’s got an automatic zoned & timed sprinkler system and that requires him to cut the grass at least once a week.

I cut my non-watered (except by nature) grass about every 2 or 3 weeks or when I feel it’s embarrassing and then I leave a wide green-belt because I have lake and water frontage on three sides of my property.

Many folks here in FL have no lawn. Instead, they have gardens or white crushed stone, or sea shells and lots of different kinds and shapes of palm trees and Jurassic Park looking vegetation. Where there is grass it’s usually that coarse, rough, Bermuda (I think it is) grass. Not much obsessing going on here, except on our golf course.

However, as far as aspiring to live like anybody in any other country… well, that’s not my vision. I still like everybody to be able to do as they please. America, what a country! :us:
CSA :palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

My obvious dumb answer to the original question was: If the vehicle is outside the best time of the day would be the daylight time.

LOL, great answer! Thanks for the chuckle.

My biggest problems with “meetings” is that they are not really meetings but lectures from management.
Nobody calls the meeting to order. No minutes are read, there is no discussion of old business or new business. Nobody makes motions or seconds them and then votes. It’s just another lecture from the management.

The deer that visit my yard eat the grass AND the shrubs.

Back to Red Green…
Didn’t he do a show where he Duck-taped a couple of reel mowers to the front of a FWD economy car?