What's the best glue for plastic car body parts?

I used JB Original for this myself, even though it involved gluing plastic.

That sounds like soldering a connection by dripping molten solder on the jointā€¦ in other words, a poor connection.

I tried that on repairing a ski. As I thought, a very poor joint.

Soldering is joining metals using a low temperature melting point tin/lead alloy. The work itself has to be hot enough to melt the solder or the solder wonā€™t wet the metal.
To me, dripping molten HDPE onto damaged HDPE is more akin to thermite welding where railroad tracks are joined by having a thermite reaction drip molten iron onto the joint thatā€™s to be welded together. The molten steel melts the surface of the steel to be welded together. They do preheat the metal to be welded though.

1 Like

Interesting vdo @B.L.E , thanks for posting. Iā€™ve always wondered what a person could do if they had to weld something in a pinch, w/o proper welding equipment. Like if your 4WD broke down in the boondocks, and you needed to weld a suspension part to the frame to get home. I wonder if you could weld something like that using gun powder or gasoline?

Blacksmiths of old welded iron together using a hammer and a forge to heat the iron orange to yellow hot. Some borax was used as flux and the orange to yellow hot iron was hammered together to form a weld.

I still get annoyed when conspiracy theorists claim burning jet fuel doesnā€™t get hot enough to melt steel. ā€œYou donā€™t have to melt steel to soften it enough to fail structurally, you moron!ā€ as anyone who has heated steel red hot and worked it on an anvil can attest to. A charcoal fire will do.

Iā€™d like to try that experiment. Iā€™m going to build me a charcoal fire and see if I can weld two pieces of 3/8 inch rebar together by getting them yellow hot, sprinkle on some borax at the junction, and whack them together with a big hammer. Do you think it would work if I just used a propane torch instead of building a charcoal fire? The blacksmith shops Iā€™ve seen seem to use coal fires and an air-bellows to get the metal really hot. I have an oxy-propane/MAPP setup I could try too.

I think blacksmiths use coke in their forges. Coke is to coal what charcoal is to wood. Charcoal would probably do and you will likely have to blow air through it in order to get the temperatures you want.
Thereā€™s hundreds of blacksmith videos on U-tube.

Itā€™s not Oatley All Purpose pipe cement, itā€™s Oatey All Purpose pipe cement. Iā€™m not being pedantic here but the spelling is important when you do a searchā€¦

My apologies for the misspelling, Iā€™m usually a stickler for correct spelling and grammar myself.

I tried it during my lunch break at work a couple of days ago, I successfully forge welded a piece of coat hanger wire into a loop using a oxy-acetylene touch and a hammer and anvil. I had to get the work straw yellow and this thin wire cools off so fast that I only had seconds to do the hammering.
I also discovered why blacksmiths that do forge welding wear long sleeve shirts, leather aprons and gauntlets. That molten borax squirts out from between the pieces being forge welded together and splatters you.