Whatever happened to Conoco and Sinclair?

I'm still waiting for the mythical gasoline police to swarm in and put their cuffs on my wrists, but since they haven't caught me violating this statute for the past 50 years, I think that the odds are in my favor to avoid being sent to The Big House for the heinous crime of pumping my own gas.

I believe Oregon and NJ are the only states where pumping your own gas is illegal, however, every place has laws that are unenforced or only enforced if violating them creates a problem.
It’s amazing how much speeding you can get away with as long as you aren’t being a complete jackass on the highway.

Yeah, as we learned i the first week of class, the only effective laws are those that the majority of the people follow. In the second week it was there has never been a law passed that someone somewhere didn’t want. Maybe there is a pump jockey union.

I see the checkout personnel at many stores going away just as the pump attendants have disappeared in most states. What seems strange to me is that at my local. WalMart, there is a longer line at the self checkout than at the manned checkout lanes and it is quicker for me most of the time to avoid the self checkout.

Until I get a discount for checking and bagging my own purchase I will continue to let the people that get paid to do it, check and bag my things.

You probably are already getting the discount in the form of lowered prices due to lowered costs. Never seemed to make sense to me to stand around with my hands in my pockets doing nothing while someone else pumps the gas or rings up a sale. I’m there anyway and I’m usually faster than they are. Then the gas jockey that dribbles gas on my wax job, or clicks the nozzle three or four times getting every last drop in can really get irritating. But then to each his own.

You probably are already getting the discount in the form of lowered prices due to lowered costs.

Not at the grocery store I used to work at.

Woodmans near us recently did away with manned checkout lanes. There is one large station with what looks like the baggage claim at airports. The attendant scans all the items and sends them down the chute. Probably 6 different chutes, then the shopper bags their own groceries.

There were a number of self checkout lanes added, some with a conveyor belt type setup and a bar to flip to redirect groceries to another side, so one can bag their own while another checks out groceries. I suppose it works ok and think to lack of volume I get through faster than I used to.

Another automation was in the lobby of the hospital I was in for what ended up being a broken tailbone. Got a scrip, punched my code into the machine and was dispensed my oxywhatever pain reliever. Remember talking to a guy that had 150k in student loans to be a pharmacist. Pharmacist may be a thing of the past along with grocery store checkers and buggy whip makers.

Went by a Sinclair station today complete with green dinosaur. Just outside of Ivanhoe MN about ten miles from the Minnesota/South Dakota border. I should have noticed since I’ve been by there hundreds of times and even eaten in the attached cafe once but never paid attention to what kind of station it was. Its alive and well though.