What would you like to see on the Car Talk web site?

I think it’d be nice to have the old style board back again, with the posts back in linear form, with the option to select new posts since last visit like other forums have. Ability to view more than 10/20 posts/threads per page

I’ve said this a million times, but I’ll say it again: data entry for a post needs to be formalized into a standard form that requires the poster to enter basic information about the car in question: year, make, model, mileage, bought new/used, serviced yourself or by professional, suspected area of trouble (ignition, engine, suspension, transmission, body, climate control, not sure, etc.). Then, this information should be sortable/query-able by the reader so that if I want to see any and all posts regarding '97 Tauruses, or '02 Impalas, or GM’s 3.4 engines, or ball joint repairs, or whatever - I can quickly pull up those posts. I may need help with a specific repair or I may be able to provide help with a specific repair that I just completed myself. I need to be able to quickly get to those posts.

I want to search a page three (3) days back. I don’t want to have to start from today, turn each page back to that time. Have you counted the number of page turns that is?

The ability to go from page to page without moving the cursor would be great. Now it’s: scroll, click, scroll, click, scroll, click, ad nauseum

While I also prefer the old format where you can quickly surf through posts, there are a couple items of irritation:

1. I also would like to see the number of posts someone has made and when they registered.
  2. More importantly though, is bring back page numbers or reference numbers or something so that you can go directly to an older post without having to scroll page by page. Also if you are just reading and find one to respond to, log in, and whammo back to the beginning and scroll and scroll again.

also; how about having sentences seperated by two spaces, and actual paragraphs. it appears that cyberbabe deletes spaces, and paragraphs all by herself.

I would like to see a sound bank of various car disorders, such as what a bad cv joint sounds like on a Honda Accord. I also liked the idea of displaying winning lottery numbers before the drawing. Has anyone ever won a lottery using their VIN number?

I figured you didn’t have enough to do so how about possibly making a few extra bucks with an arbitration service of sorts to help us saps negotiate a fair resolution to disputes with dealerships? You possess the knowledge to cut through some of the bs customer service reps hand neophytes like “you’ll have to live with what we call a ghost” in your car because it’s no longer cost effective for us to try to fix the problem.

I like the “Helpful Hints” idea but I think it might be better as a “Tools and Techniques” where posters can put techniques that they tried that worked better than traditional techniques and unusual tools or unusual uses for common tools and where to find these unusual tools.

It might also be helpful to have a section where people with special interest cars can post links to websites that are dedicated to these cars. These links are occasionally posted in the repair section but get lost in the back pages in short order.

Bring back hate mail, or at least the “Best of Hate Mail”. The “Andy Letter” and “Cat Flaps” and the college acceptance letter are real gems. Best of callers would be nice too, but that might put a dent in the obscene profits you make by selling them as CD’s in your Shameless Commerce section.

Hi, about 6 months ago my husband and I bought a Lincoln MKZ, 2008. We had read up on it and it seemed that this was the car we were looking for in our Retirement. We want to travel back and forth from upstate NY to Florida. The only bad feature we read on was that it had a bad turn ratio, which is very true! But we also have had several other problems with it and was wondering if anyone else has. The first problem was that the car is Very noisy. You can hear the wind and the outside noices as if you had the widow cracked open. They calm that is because it is a sports model and the insulation is not very thick on them. The next problem was that the car has to be started twice before it stays running some times. The dealer couldn’t find any problems and there were not bulletin on it, so we still have that problem. Next was that the car sometimes when you go to stop, it feels like it is going to lunge forward. It doesn’t but it sounds like it, and again, no bulletins on that so it can’t be fixed. Now the current problem is that there is this winning noise in the front stiring wheel and they hear it but can’t find it and NO BULLETINS on it. So they decided to call Ford and are waiting for a call back. This car is a very nice riding car, comfortable and roomy, but the noises are driving us crazy and we are very disatisfied with it. I wrote a letter to Ford about 3 weeks ago and as yet have not heard from them. Maybe there is someone out there that can tell us if they had the same problems and if they got them fixed? Thank you - Maria & Dominick Nitti

If you want an answer, post this in ‘Car Questions’

A listing of car models with special needs such as special dealer only antifreeze for an Audi, expensive special, not ordinary synthetic oil for VW TDI diesels, odd, hard to find tire sizes, and cars with rubber cam belt drives that also require a new water pump at 60,000 or 90,000 miles for in excess of $500. These things are not pointed out by car sales people when buying new and come as a surprise later.

Frequently I miss radio shows due to family obligations. In fact, I miss most of your radio shows due to family obligations. If shows were archived for streaming from my computer I could listen to the show, the ads, etc. and still attend to family obligations.
Regards,
Tom Schneck
San Jose, CA.

Hi! I am a very loyal radio listener who has not been on the Web site recently. I was very disappointed that I did not find much about what I was looking for.

In particular:

• no recent test drives by Ray & Tom
  • links for vertically challenged drivers (airbags) bad

I did not really get into the over features of the Web site because the content I was expecting was not there.

I DO appreciate being able to search newspaper columns.

It would be neat if there were special topic forums for people who are into more specific aspects or types of cars, i.e. muscle car, turbo import/tuners, 4wd, etc…that way we could have discussions about these topics with others who share these interests specifically.

You guys haven’t done any road tests in a long long time. I really respect you opinions and would love some input on the new models and older. So get out there and do some road tests. Don’t tell them that your brother is driving or the won’t loan you the car.

Here’s an EASY one for you web lackeys. Often, when I’m following a post thread, I want to get to the last/latest entries. I’ve already read the prior posts and don’t yet have OldTimers disease so I can still remember them. As it is now, I have to open the original thread and scroll completely to the bottom of the page before I am offered the selections to view LAST. Put that same set of boxes at the top of the page too so I don’t get carpal tunnel scrolling all the time.

Twinturbo:
I agree having the page buttons at the top of the post would be handy. Until then open the thread and hit the “END” key on your keyboard. It will take you to the bottom of the page without getting carpal tunnel. Also, the “HOME” key will take you back to the top.
~Michael

Michael,
Exactly what are you guys doing to ‘update’ you posted reply withouthaving that pencil showing?

Steve was nice enough to get it put there on my post so I could ‘update’, but I would like to see it gone but still know what to do.

I’m not a ‘geek’ so I need instruction. Thanks.

Great tip, thanks!!