What should be a good price for a Honda Accord 2019?

Hey guys. I just went to a dealer this morning, and they offered me 24k for the 2019 Accord Sport 1.5CVT. But on the website i found that the average market place is around 23k. How much should I negotiate with them ?. 20k, 21k ?
Thank you

Looks like $22,495 or thereabouts is the lowest you can go according to what’s on cargurus and that’s mainly at a particular dealer in Florida. Watch out for the add on’s that they will try to sell you. What you end up paying out the door is most important. $24,000 isn’t a bad price but if they want to move the car before the end of the month they may be willing to make a better deal.

1 Like

There is not an answer to this question . Different areas have different taxes , some have different demand for certain vehicles and even some colors of paint are in more demand than others.
So you simply make an offer that you want to pay and see if they accept. If not then you decide if you want to pay their price.

1 Like

The best way to negotiate is to be ready and willing to walk out the door and into another Honda dealer. Or, gasp! A Toyota dealer!

If the dealer is convinced you won’t walk out the door, you have no leverage at all. And a good salesman can read that in you from 20 yards away!

1 Like

In addition to Cargurus, look at websites like Edmunds.com, kbb.com, and cars.com. They will give you a fair price in your zip code. The price is without taxes, tags, and any other fees your state and local government assess. You might also consider Truecar. I got a price from them for my 2017 Accord, but did better on my own. I also got a price for our 2019 Odyssey, and it was much better than I was willing to take based on my evaluation from the other sites I mentioned.

1 Like

I went to my nearby Honda dealer for an oil change on my Acura because, they are nearby and I had a coupon. I know a young lady who worked there as a salesman. I noticed a $999.00 “dealer pack” added to each car. It included wheel locks and all weather floor mats, but the rest was all mop and glo, and rust and dust.
I asked her what she got out of the $999. She got $20 for selling the package, and a world of hurt when the customer refused it.

3 Likes

I would go over to the NADA website and see what invoice on it is and then offer them invoice. Only 1.5 liters in an Accord , boy that seems small .

1 Like

It’s turbocharged. There’s plenty of power.

My experience was that seller would be happy to settle to Edmund’s TMV price, but I was able to go one grand lower.
Keep shopping around (if you have more than one dealer in your area).

That seems like a reasonable price. The only way you’ll know if they’ll accept less is to offer less and see what they say. This works better if you have previously researched a back-up plan, either that you’ll buy the car at a different dealership you’ve already visited, or you’ll just buy a different car, different moderl or even different make. If you are really set on this particular car, offer them a little less, say 1k less, and if they say no deal, you’re only choice is pay what they are asking.

Other alternatives:

• I’ve never used the Consumer Reports car pricing service, but it seems like it would give you some valuable price information on what the dealership paid for the car.

• Some posters here say using a car broker is very helpful. Those folks buy and sell cars all the time, and they know what sort of deals the manufacturers are making w/the dealership, so they’ll know the lowest possible price the dealer might accept. It’s the same reason you might hire a tax advisor to handle your IRS audit. The tax advisor has done it many times and knows what sort of leeway the IRS has in accepting a compromise, information you have no way of knowing.

• Wait, eventually Honda will probably offer up a rebate. They’ll soon be in the mood to move all the 2019’s off the lot to make room for the 2020’s.

As mentioned above it’s best to negotiate on the “out the door” price, the total price to you that allows you to drive the car away with the title. That will force the dealership to show you the itemized bill of everything they intend to charge you for.

1 Like

I’m skeptical of that assertion. Honda doesn’t like using rebate incentives. I bought three Hondas and they never offered rebates. They had dealer cash, which was available if you asked for it, lease deals, and finance deals. There are student and military discounts, but those aren’t available to most of the public.

Good price for a 2019 Honda anything ?

Price you are willing to pay equals what the dealer is willing to accept at that moment , period.

1 Like

That’s an excellent point . . . I’ve known lots of people who will buy a car that’s considerably out of the way, gladly driving a few hours away for significant savings

We’ve talked about this recently . . . personally, I’d rather have a larger naturally aspirated 4-cylinder. But I realize those days will probably soon be over

I’m of the understanding that the domestics have been the ones that commonly use those “rebate incentives” . . . to use your words. The asian brands didn’t really play those games, or at least not nearly as much. Apparently they feel the product will sell itself?

Find the average fair price from what has been said here.
Do not go to the dealer. Go to their websites, find the exact car you like, trim, color, etc.
E-mail the dealer with a reasonable offer, a bit lower than you found fair and work your way.
I usually try and pay cash for my car, so I negotiate the out the door cost. Whatever their fees are-I care about the bottom line.
I also tell them after I check the particular car out, then they only have half on hour to close the deal. I am a busy man, don’t waste my time. If they start selling me paint protection and other stuff, I check my watch and let them know I will be walking out. It works for the most part. But you really have to be ready to walk out. I have done that.

The manufactures call their discounts by different names, rebates, dealer incentives, cash back, whatever they want to call it, if it reduces the bottom line, that’s good for the customer. I see Toyota is offering a “$1000 cash back” deal on their 2020 Corollas, available in certain locations apparently. Nothing similar from Honda on the Accord for October as far as I can see. OP should Google “2019 Honda Accord Rebates and Incentives” to find out what exactly might be available.

They use different words because it changes how the discount is listed in public. Dealer incentives are not listed along with rebates at websites that catalog them. They are technically not cash available to the public, though they are often used to entice buyers with a lower cost. Because of this structure, the manufacturer isn’t often listed as discounting the vehicle as often as they’re are for rebates.

hmmm?? … I’m interested in your reply, but I have to admit I couldn’t understand much of what you said. Can it be said using words we who are not experts in business & marketing can understand?

Nothing technical in my response.

Dealer incentives are money from the manufacturer to the dealer, not the car buyer. The manufacturer wants to give a discount, but doesn’t want it to be publicly known. By shielding the amount of this incentive, it offers the dealer a chance to make a little extra on the car the incentive is offered on and pass some of it to the customer.

I got dealer incentive money on my 2005 Accord. I don’t know if I did on my 2017 Accord or my 2019 Odyssey. I do know I got a very good price on both the newer cars. I can find rebates on Honda’s website, or the car info sites like Edmunds. They don’t list the dealer incentive, if there is one.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand what you mean now.