What’s this sound about?

Ok. The $400+ job I had done last week was to replace or tighten a lug nut so it shouldn’t be that. I would hope not. The brakes are working fine. Some light squeaks here and there but overall no concerns from me.

The noise isn’t really affected when applying the brakes. I would say it stays the same.

Unlikely to be the brake’s anti-rattle shims then.

May just have to wait a month, then bring it in to get looked at again. I think engine problems.

Well I cant hear any type of unusual sound at all in the video… However based on the description of it being a clank sound that seems to follow wheel speed…and coupled with the fact that the brakes were recently replaced and that is is more noticeable at lower speeds.

Methinks the person who replaced the brakes inadvertently bent the metal “Pie Plate” dust shield that runs on the back side of the rotor… They are made of thin steel and they get bent often and have a clanking sort of hollow sound more noticeable at lower speeds and becoming drowned out at higher speeds. You need to remove the wheel in order to remedy properly. All you do is make sure the “Pie Pans” are not contacting the rotor in any location… Most common location is at the bottom…but its easy enough to check and remedy… You can even bend them back with your fingers…

That is my guess without hearing it and based on the information given, I feel like this is exactly what you are trying to describe and find. Very very common and if you have never heard or been through this before I could imagine it is very confusing and or disconcerting. I would check those dust shields right off the bat… Bet you thats it…

2 Likes

I agree with Honda_Blackbird on this one.Mechanics often remove the calipers and place them out of the way to change the pads and rotors.I rarely see them using a bongie cord or lenght of metal wire to hold them in place.The calipers can slip and bend the dust shields resulting in a noise. Check that first.