What kind of tires?

Own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata sedan, 4 cylinder, 2WD. Recently, I visited a mechanic who recommended that I get touring tires as opposed to all-season because of the amount of driving that my husband and I do on the highways. This past year, we did a great deal more driving, as we drove to visit lots of family and honeymooned, all of which were hundreds of miles from us. However, going forward, except for the occassional visits, the number of miles that we drive should go down. So, are the touring tires still a good idea, should we stick with the all-season, or are there any other recommendations? Thanks for your help!

I would check out tirerack.com there are numerous reviews of many tires and it will help you choose a tire hat has he right qualitys for you… For example I chose a touring tire for my wife’s van, and they are much quiter then the old tires… This was important to me and a quality I looked for when looking for a tire…

Where do you live? Weather conditions play a roll in tire selection…Wet and snow favors All Seasons. Dry and clear, touring work best…

I wouldn’t worry too much, I’d concentrate on a high quality tire that has a long tread life and meets your cars specifications. As @gsragtop said, go to tirerack.com.

Go to a good tire place, ask for a recommendation in the Michelin brand for your driving habitats.

A lot of your touring tires are actually better on wet and light snow than “all-season” tires. The Bridgestone Turanza and teh Michelin Primacy are very good in bad weather, yet give a very smooth quiet ride, and they last a long time too. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

“…but you get what you pay for.”

True. @AHamel1976, while you are at Tire Rack, look up tire tests for grand touring tires. It seems that this class was OEM for your car.

Most folks run all-season tires unless they change out for winter tires in wintertime.

I have been a loyal Michelin user for 30 years, but this last time I decided to try something new. I bought a set of Yokahama Avid Ascend. Made in USA in a zero waste factory. They use orange peel oil rather than petroleum oil because they figured out that orange oil makes the synthetic rubber and the natural rubber bond together to make a tougher material. The result is they can make the tread deeper for longer tire wear. I am quite pleased so far. They don’t perform like the high-end Michelins on my wife’s car, but they cost a lot less and they perform well.

Check out Contential Extreme Contact DWS.Put these on my wife’s Chevy HHR and on a Mustang prior to that.Very good in the rain and snow and they are quiet.

but you get what you pay for.

In some instances, yes. But, with my car, the expensive ones aren’t always the best.
I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A from the factory on my car and they are rated rather crappy in just about everything. To replace them, it’s $240 a tire. Bridgestone Dueler HL-400 is another crappy factory tire and is $235 a piece. Pirelli Scorpion Verde is $210 and rated better than both OE tires. Yokohama Parada Spec X is $187 and is rated pretty good as well.

I might second the suggestion made by keith about the Bridgestone Turanzas. Had a set of those put on my Lincoln about 3 years ago and they’ve been great tires as to durability, ride, and traction.
There’s about 50k miles on them and counting at this point.