What is wrong with my car

Hey guys I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 3 with 64,328 miles I have only had 1 issue with the car which was the oil pressure switch when out but other then that I have had no issues with my car it shifts amazing and no dash lights.
Here is what’s going on.
I was driving normal and pulled into house when over a speed bump at 1mph and went to hit the gas after and the car just revved so stopped put the car in park and put it back in the drive and still nothing so then I pushed it home turned it off let it sit for like an hour went out started it and put it in reverse and it makes a noise so I go to put it in drive and still nothing it won’t register any gear Besides park and there is no dash lights. So can someone please help

Your transmission is broken.
A leak may have dropped the level below what is needed but that can’t be checked unless the engine is running and each gear can be selected.

1 Like

Have someone check if one of the half shafts broke.

Tester

1 Like

OP, have it towed to a well-recommended auto-repair shop. They’ll be able to tell you what the problem is without too much diagnostic time I expect. Than you’ll know. It’s quite possible this isn’t an expensive to repair problem. Keep optimistic. I’m presuming you didn’t hear a loud “crack” when you went over the speed bump, and didn’t see any fluid leaking onto the ground.

Reminds me, some years ago I was walking dog in neighborhood , 25 mph road, 11 pm or so, neighbors on that street have clout w/local politicians so were able to get city to install a big speed bump. I notice a speeding car coming towards me and dog so watching intensely what’s going to happen, a sedan filled to the brim with laughing teenagers. "Whack "!!! Car hits speed bump. “Screeech”, car no longer rolling on tires, instead sliding along the pavement. “Whir”, A bevy of ball bearings from broken CV joints rolling down the road at pretty good clip … lol …

2 Likes

See if you can roll/move the car in park, try to have help and have the hood up so you can see if the engine is rocking in the engine bay forward and backward while pushing the vehicle forward and backward, if the vehicle moves while in park then you probably have a broken axle like Tester said…
If it vehicle moves just a little bit and the engine rocks in the bay while trying to push both forward/backwards but stops as it should in park then Mustangman is probably correct and your transmission broke…