What is the best resources to carry for 1800 KM trip?

I am planning to go on a trip to complete 1800 Km. I own a Honda City, can anyone suggest to me which resources to carry to complete the 1800 km trip? Also, suggest to me which car will be best and will be comfortable for long drives.

1800 KM is not that long of a trip. Shouldn’t need any special resources.

As for which car…What do you have available? Let’s start there.

As for comfort…that’s a very personal thing. What I consider comfortable may not be comfortable to you.

What’s a Honda City?

Among Hondas I would say the Accord would be the most comfortable for a long trip.

Um… Snacks? Maybe some water. Carry money in case you want to buy something…

Seriously, unless your car is in poor repair, 1800km isn’t gonna phase it. As to comfort, only you can evaluate whether or not the City will be comfortable. I’ve done many trips that long and longer in compact cars. I prefer something bigger and with a nicer ride now that I’m middle-aged, but a City wouldn’t bother me if that’s what I had.

Resources ? Cell phone - maps - portable GPS and what is wrong with your Honda ? Do you plan to rent something ? We just did a trip like that in a Ford Fiesta and it was comfortable enough.

It will depend on your location (as in country), within the country, where are you traveling, flat roads or mountain region, access to various things (including emergencies to flat tire to cell phone signal) in the area you are traveling etc. Find out such information and decide for yourself.

Not too sure where you are located but Honda City sold in India (or Grace in Japan) is pretty comfortable ride, akin to Honda fit here in the US.

I’d carry a cell phone and car charger and a gallon of distilled water. If you know your car uses oil, then one quart of oil just in case. If it gets cold where you are going, then a blanket or sleeping bag would be helpful, just in case.

Not to be flippant or anything but if you have to ask what to take, then it’s best just to take money and a cell phone to call someone for help. It would be like me asking what kind of a medical kit to take to perform surgery. Best just to call an expert.

1 Like

Dog sled, elephant gun, DIY surgery kit, 100 gallons of water, a thousand glucose energy bars.

2 Likes

It is hard to say what you should take. Here, I have friends who’ll have their car checked over by a mechanic. Then they pop off to Reno on a 3 day weekend. Round trip is close to your journey. It’s an 8 hour drive each way, no worries.

But I’ve been in some parts of the world where a 300 mile journey required some preparation. You may not have road side service and stocked repair shops within easy towing distance. In the past, I’ve carried what I thought I might encounter. It was usually 4 quarts of oil, water for the radiator, a fan belt, checked the spare, bailing wire and duct tape and a folding shovel, as well as food/water, proper clothes, a thermal blanket, and misc items for me. I never needed most of it, but I didn’t know. My friend had snow chains, which puzzled me in a hot climate. He said it was to get thru muddy patches in the roads.

Before you go use the internet to look up the telephone numbers of some tow companies and police along the planned route and store those in your cell phone memory. That way you’ll be able to call for help if you have a breakdown or other emergency. If you are visiting another country, check to see if they require you carry anything special. France for example requires you carry safety triangles and enough vests for each passenger. Besides that a basic tool kit, spare belts, a couple gallons of water, and money is about all you’ll need. One more thing: Check the air pressure in your spare tire and make sure you can jack up the car with the car’s jack in your driveway before you leave.

Vests? In case of a water landing? I had forgotten about checking changes in the laws and driving customs, especially if crossing borders. Those got me questioned a couple times.

Yeah, I forgot about the jack. Always check jack operation and that it is still in the car. (Well, except on my the new car, which doesn’t come with a spare tire.)

Reflective vests. The idea I guess is if the car stops working, pulls to the shoulder, the passengers get out of the car and are safer if wearing reflective vests while awaiting the tow truck.

A long unused jack can be very difficult to remove from its storage place. On many cars it is wedged in place so it doesn’t rattle, and over time can really get wedged there and be nearly impossible to remove without the appropriate tools. So you want to make sure you can remove it before the trip.

Agreed on the jack. I have pulled them out after 5 or 6 years and they need a touch of grease… as in too stiff to turn by hand.

Ah, reflective vests. hmm… yes I can see that would be smart. That reminds me, I need to get some new electric reflectors to tuck in the car’s trunk.

I guess I had had my Olds for about a year and ran into the hook on a bungee cord one morning. Stopped on the freeway to change the tire and had the tire and jack but no foot for the jack. This was back when you actually jacked up the bumper. I think I just jacked it up on the asphalt shoulder and got the tire changed. I stopped by the dealer then and they provided me with the missing part.

1 Like

lol Yeah, jacks are designed to be used on a flat hard surface, something you never encounter. I did like GM’s safety jack, with the notch in the bumper (when GM still had real bumpers). I remember scraping packed gravel with a hub cap and tire iron to get a level surface for the foot.

I thought the safest was VW’s. It had a round plate about the size of a large soup can, and a square peg inserted into a body socket. Jacking at the rear would lift the side of the van.

Just don’t do it on a slight incline. I twisted that peg about 15 degrees… never quite right after that.

Think Honda Fit sedan, same platform sold in India and Vietnam among other asian countries.

Yeah I remember that VW jack. Seems to me my Morris Minor had a jack like that too, but that was 50 years ago so memory fades.