What is included in the "drive train" warranty? Are the lifters (tappets) considered part of it?

Often, when I first start our 06 Azera there is a clicking …Tappet? …noise, when I accelerate. This usually slowly diminishes after 10 miles or so…but it always goes away. However it is getting louder and more persistent… The drive train warranty is effective for 80K miles. I believe and we have just turned 75K… I wonder if this problem is covered? I took it to the dealer many months ago… several times and left it overnight once…but they always say that they are: “Unable to duplicate the problem”… any advice?

Not as much is covered in a drive train warranty as one would hope…but,
I would think so, as the tappets are in the engine and IT is the ''drivetrain.
Read you warrant policy PLUS their service department can check by simply knowing the part number of the tappets and running that against you vin.
They need to take more initiative and at least assume , for the sake of varifing, BEFORE the warranty is over.
They CAN do that . …run the entire job …as if…to see if it’s covered.
If they don’t , they’re lazy and you need to call corperate. That number will be in your owner’s manual.

The real answer to your question is written in your warranty paperwork.

Generally, if it says “powertrain” I’d expect the engine to be included. If it says “drivetrain” I’d assume it was not. But I’m not the authority on your warranty. The guy that wrote the warranty is

I don’t know what an Azera is but the GM 100K drive train warranty covers anything that oil touches in the drive train. So essentially internals but not water pumps etc. Its in the book.

I thought on this Era of Hyundai Azera you got a 100k warranty on the powertrain? The only real exception I can find is if you haven’t been doing oil changes or other services at the right intervals, or if the oil level hasn’t been checked. You should have some kind of warranty guide with the car or they are available for download online.

“I thought on this Era of Hyundai Azera you got a 100k warranty on the powertrain?”

That is true for the first owner. What is not known to many people is that the second–and subsequent owners–do not get the remainder of that 100k powertrain warranty. They get a shorter term, which I think is 60k, but could be 80k, as mentioned by the OP. That being said, every warranty has an elapsed time value, as well as an odometer mileage value, so the OP should make sure that his/her warranty has not expired on the basis of elapsed time.

All of that being said, even if the powertrain warranty is still in effect, it will likely only be honored if the OP can substantiate that the oil changes have all been done w/in the odometer mileage AND the elapsed time limitations specified in the Hyundai maintenance schedule.

Can the OP substantiate–through hard copies of maintenance invoices–that all of the oil changes were done on schedule? If so, then Hyundai should honor the warranty, as the warranty does cover the lifters. If the OP cannot prove timely maintenance, then Hyundai will probably not honor the warranty…nor should they, as problems with lifters are almost always the result of lax attention to oil change schedules.

I’d be surprised if faulty tappets – weren’t covered in a drive train or power train warranty. But as said above, it isn’t up to any of us here, it all depends on the exact wording of the warranty. For example, if the problem is not that the tappets are faulty, but simply that the valves need adjustment, and valve adjustment is considered routine maintenance per the owner’s manual, then it probably wouldn’t be covered. It’s like an oil change in other words. Routine maintenance.

btw … just because a clicking sound is heard with a frequency corresponds to the rpms, that doesn’t imply it is the tappets. There’s a dozen or more things that could cause this in a well maintained 8 year old car, most of them not internal to the engine. Alternator bearing, etc. Mechanics have techniques to isolate where noises are coming from. That’s probably the first place to start.

Good point George. After a couple hundred thousand miles, my Olds developed a terrible valve clatter. I took the valve covers off and discovered it was just a couple of the rocker pivots and rocker arms that were worn and loose. About $10 in parts fixed it that night.

The engine is part of the drivetrain. It is what supplies the “drive.”

Tony, you do realize that different terminology is often used in different regions, don’t you? I could tell you some funny stories from my years in the military to illustrate, but they’re not for a family forum. And you do realize that the term “drivetrain” has no legal definition? In my neck of the woods, the “drivetrain” is the path by which the power source drives the vehicle, not including the power source itself. The same drivetrain can be used with different engines.

And you do realize that it doesn’t matter? The only thing that matters is what’s defined in the warranty.

It’s shown that the engine has mechanical valve lifters and if the noise is due to excessive valve lash then any adjustment is normally considered a maintenance procedure and customer pay.

I agree with thesamemountainbike about the terminology and it all depends upon what the black and white print states.

If there’s an issue with the variable valve timing mechanism or whatever then warranty may or may not cover the repairs. They’re going to want to see a verifiable maintenance history.

Mbike, yeah I realize all of that. But I’m also unaware of any “drivetrain” warranty which does not cover the engine.
If by some odd chance, a manufacturer chose to limit “drivetrain” to exclude the engine, then there would have to be an additional “engine” warranty, as no one warrants from the transmission back and ignores the engine.
The OP specifically mentioned just this one warranty.
In fact, Hyundai doesn’t even call theirs a drivetrain warranty as the OP did, they say powertrain.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx?cid=sem_google&k_clickid=4cb0390b-842c-5d29-2a26-000016b69043

In short, I don’t believe they will do anything (for free) if it isn’t affecting driveability.

It’s making noise but has it set a code? Has it affected fuel mileage? Has it caused you not to be able to drive the car where you wanted, when you wanted? Just some examples of how they will work their way out of doing anything. To some degree, I agree with that premise because they have to draw the line somewhere.

The warranty may only cover defects in material and workmanship. Even if they’re hydraulic lifters making noise, you may be SOL from that perspective…but it can’t hurt to keep trying.

We have to use the words “:power train” and that includes engine and what’s attached to it, transmission, drive train and wheels.

It sounds like you are correct sirs. I was using poor terminology. My book refers to the “powertrain” warranty, not drivetrain. Then lists engine and transmission separate with what is specifically covered.

The “book” is really all that matters anyway. That specifies what’s covered.
Unfortunately, the OP never got back to us anyway, and there are still unanswered questions.

OP has a 2006 vehicle with 75K on it and thinks their drivetrain warranty is still in effect

I suspect the drivetrain warranty also has a time limit

Meaning . . . 80K or x number of years, whichever comes first

I suspect the car’s out of “warranty” by time