What is Engine Performance Restoration Service?

A 100 bucks is not that much anymore and it could well be needed; especially depending upon age and driving habits. The intent is not to cheat you; it’s to prevent a potential problem before it does become one.

1 Like

Clearly, you are a BRILLIANT writer. Thanks for the chuckle.

1 Like

Much obliged @shoerags, but if you ask around, I believe the general consensus may differ somewhat from your findings.

They only put up with me around here due to my obvious good taste in clothing, but hey at least they let me hang out.

1 Like

Actually , we have been meaning to talk to you about that . :wink:

4 Likes

Was that you I saw in Boyd’s the other day?

1 Like

It couldn’t have been @old_mopar_guy…everyone knows that particular high end establishment is spelled “Boids”. One has to be mindful of nefarious purveyors of counterfeit clothing…which is why I have been purchasing all of my threads from “Boids” for decades. They remind me how savvy I am each time I shop there also…

Could you imagine getting bilked by some fly by night, counterfeit operation, at these dear prices? I surely cant and since I am “in the know” as they say… I’m also “good to go”.

OK got to figure out cocktail casual, tie not required for an east coast visit. Do I have to take a Limo? If it was recommended while under warranty I might take up an engine performance restoration service. Do not want to hear sorry not covered because this service was recommended and you refused it.

$100 is all? At a MB dealership? Pay them the c-note and as long as the car runs at least as good as it did before, don’t complain. As mentioned above whatever it is they do for this service, it probably won’t hurt, and might well help. $100 is cheap insurance plus it keeps you on their good side.

For perspective I’m a diy’er, and every once in a while I do certain jobs on my Corolla that aren’t specified in the owner’s manual as routine service. For example I’ll remove the throttle body and clean the gunk that has built up on the other side of the throttle valve, and while I’m there I’ll clean the EGR vacuum control ports, and vacuum out any grit laying in the air filter box. And I usually clean the muck off the CV boots as part of oil changes, as well as lubing the door & hood hinges and latches. I’ll also add some fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank sometimes, but I only do that when there are symptoms. All those sorts of preventative tasks – if done properly – probably help keep the car running a little better and longer.

I would only allow them to do this service if the Headlight fluid, Muffler Bearings and all OEM MB factory smoke was topped off in the electrical system as part of the deal. How else could I be assured that all of my engines performance was restored?

Lets see how they handle a mechanically savvy customer

4 Likes

$100 is for a $7 can of seafoam , half of which will go in the crankcase and the other half into the gas tank.

1 Like

My first inclination is to be very suspicious.

But just in case there’s a sliver of validity to it, I would want to know exactly what the shop will do for that $100.

Only then could an informed decision be made.

Oh, but $1 is sales tax, $10 is shop fees, and $82 is labor. Once you see the itemized bill it all makes complete sense.

No. I greatly doubt there is any legitimate emphasized text test that shows there is any “return of the lost engine performance.” It is obviously a dealer ploy.

You really think you’d get an honest answer from the dealer?

They deceived your wife. Find another place to take your car.

Stick to scheduled maintenance only. No “add-ons” next time.

“Engine performance restoration” at face-value is something you’d have done if there was a performance problem with the vehicle.

If the vehicle has been maintained at the dealer at every scheduled service interval, why would such a procedure be warranted, unless the vehicle was defective or neglected?

edit: If you really wanted to be a pain in the ass(!!!), you could ask them for proof that engine performance restoration is warranted - ask for data. You probably won’t get an answer.

Sounds like asemaster is a dealer. Service Writers (of whom I’ve known several personally) get the majority of their income from selling things to people.

Quite the opposite. Asemaster is a highly skilled and respected mechanic. Nothing in his advice is or character is about upselling for his benefit.

4 Likes

Nope. Never worked at a dealer. I’ve been an independent shop mechanic all my life. Even when I owned my own place.

It’s true that the automotive service industry is based on people paying for us to maintain and repair their cars. But then again that’s true for all of us, isn’t it? I don’t go to work every day to make friends, I go to work to make money. I don’t know what you do for a living, but at some point along the chain if no one purchased the services or goods you provide you wouldn’t have a job.

I wonder, after you visit the dentist do you go to online forums and complain that dentists are just out to empty your wallet because she recommended a deep root cleaning and a fluoride treatment when your teeth seem to be working just fine?

4 Likes

I use seafoam for that

3 Likes

Peppermint or bubble gum flavor?

3 Likes