Mercedes 2011 E 350 defective engine

our 2011 car is one of a group that may have a defective engine that can result in scoring of the cylinders by the oil scrapper ring. see Mercedes topic number L103.10-P-052286. I am told by dealer that problem could occur at any time during life of car and that if it did engine would have to be replaced. aren’t I at risk of car dying in the middle of nowhere. Mercedes has refused to replace my engine since it has yet to exhibit any problems. My neighbor just had the problem arise for his 2011 car with the engine beginning to sound like a diesel truck. they then replaced his engine. even if I have no problems won’t I have trouble selling car if it is in the problem category?

Have they issued an extended (lifetime?) engine warranty, in writing? That might help the resale value. As for being stranded, scored cylinder walls will cause oil burning and eventually engine noise, but you’ll experience that a while before engine failure, I wouldn’t think it would happen over night.

@duffsamo

I worked at a Benz dealer for several years and I know how they work

They will NOT replace your engine for a problem that you have not YET experienced

These are the scenarios in which you get a free engine:

Your engine “fails” during the new car warranty period
Benz issues a service campaign or a service campaign which instructs the mechanics to outright replace your engine . . . EXTREMELY unlikely
Goodwill replacement, as per the service manager
Goodwill replacement, as per the regional manager
Goodwill replacement, as per Mercedes-Benz corporate

Trust me when I say they are hoping that your engine lasts long enough that it is well past any warranty period

Unfortunately, just because you aware of this bulletin doesn’t mean that you’re going to get a secret handshake which entitles you to a free engine.

The good news is that you are aware of the POTENTIAL problem. And you can factor that knowledge into your decision as to how long you want to keep your car.

If I were you, I’d not say anything to potential buyers. What’s the point? If your car has been fine, why scare them by saying that the engine might fail? I might get struck by lightning tomorrow.

Prudent used car buyers should pay a few bucks to log onto factory websites and see what bulletins, recalls, etc. were issued for the car they’re considering. That’s what I did, and so I actually avoided buying a car with a potentially problematic engine. I won’t go into too much detail here, but it was a common car with a common engine. And many owners have never experienced that particular problem. But it’s a possibility.

an e350 is a nice car. i wish i had one.

@Cavell

They’re nice to drive

They’re not nice to work on

It’s also not nice to pay for the upkeep (maintenance, repairs, insurance, registration, etc.)

I don’t wish I had one