What drivers kill the most pedestrians?

According to a recent NY Times article, http://www…k.html?hp, “…80 percent of city accidents that resulted in a pedestrian?s death or serious injury, a male driver was behind the wheel.” Manhattan, as well as streets, worldwide, are dangerous for pedestrians.

…and your point is…?

Should people not attempt to cross streets?
Should men not be allowed to drive?

Should pedestrians not be expected to watch where THEY are going ?

What is the demographic for those pedestians killed ? Are they too men ?

Completely meaningless statistic. What % of all the miles driven were by men?

lol. Yes, that’s right, men should not be allowed to drive. Don’t feel bad - it is probably women distracted by talking on their cell phones that are stepping out in front of the men. Although… they are probably talking to men. hmmm…

Not very many people where I live bother to even look before they step out into the road. Too bad I didn’t still have my Chevelle, they’d atleast get a nice auditory warning as I stepped on the gas to try and hit them. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you don’t like my driving stay off the sidewalk! :wink:

Meaningless. What percent of drivers are men overall? It could be that men are 90% of the total drivers (Really total miles driven) and only 10% of the drivers who get involved in a pedestrian injury or death.

They were probably all out running errands for their wives or girlfriends…
or they were cabbies.

I agree with the others. These stats are meaningless by themselves.

I fail to understand how some drivers seem to forget that they are also pedestrians by turns, and worse seem to think other pedestrians are not worthy of the respect that THEY demand.
Many years ago I read of a study (I forget where it was done) that indicated more than 90% of pedestrians struck by motor vehicles were people who did not drive nor ever had a licence. Whether that would be true today or not I cannot say. But I think there is a lesson there. When I was an active driving instructor I used that statistic to impress upon my student drivers the importance of looking out for pedestrians of any age.
I fail to see any place for the hostility directed at pedestrians in some of these associated posts.

A lot of pedestrians don’t even bother to look before they cross the road, that’s the bad part. Couple that with distracted drivers on their phone, or whathave you, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster

The study confirms what we already know. The most dangerous drivers are untrained (or under-trained), aggressive, and distracted, and New Yorkers can be some of the most aggressive people on the planet.

As to the gender issue, “…in 80 percent of city accidents that resulted in a pedestrian?s death or serious injury, a male driver was behind the wheel. (Fifty-seven percent of New York City vehicles are registered to men.)” Every man who has ever complained about female drivers should shut the hell up. It is long overdue, especially now that we have female pilots in the armed forces.

It only proves that even though women make us buy them cars, we do all the driving anyway.

Let me ask you a few questions:

1. how many women do you know that do NOT own their own cars?
  2. whenever a man and a woman are together in a car, who’s usually driving?
    3 when a family is going somewhere in a car, who’s usually driving?
  3. which gender most often drives as a part of their living, a man or a woman?

These numbers out of context are meaningless.

I’m afraid it will be drivers like me who cause the most pedestrian accidents. My family fleet is 60% hybrids, and they “don’t make enough noise to alert pedestrians” according to the NHTSA. Of course, most of those pedestrians have iPOD earbuds in, or cellphones, or WalkMans.

“Although… they are probably talking to men”

Nope. They are talking to their girlfriends about That Man (the bum).

In Manhattan there is a definite disconnect between pedestrian and driver. Each seems to believe and act on disparate rules of right-of-way. Guess who wins.

So if 85% of drivers in Manhattan are men (which could be true), then men are really safer drivers.

I’ve seen signs in Columbus, Ohio warning drivers that pedestrians have the right of way when before they turn. Then again, there is a stop light in the middle of town on High street that has no side streets to it, just a crosswalk. It’s in the OSU campus area, so I’m assuming that’s why

The only pedestrian who I knew that got hit by a car was intoxicated.

Jaywalkers were involved in fewer collisions than their law-abiding counterparts who waited for the ?walk? sign, though they were likelier to be killed or seriously hurt by the collision.

And in 80 percent of city accidents that resulted in a pedestrian?s death or serious injury, a male driver was behind the wheel. (Fifty-seven percent of New York City vehicles are registered to men.) [i] Jaywalkers were involved in fewer collisions than their law-abiding counterparts who waited for the ?walk? sign, though they were likelier to be killed or seriously hurt by the collision.

And in 80 percent of city accidents that resulted in a pedestrian?s death or serious injury, a male driver was behind the wheel. (Fifty-seven percent of New York City vehicles are registered to men.)[/i]

Why don’t news reporters professionally examine their stories like this one before publishing it.

Jaywalkers may be more careful because they are Jaywalking and expect some risk.

So 57% of the cars are registered to ?. Who cares? You need to know who is driving. I suspect in a family the car is more likely to be registered to the man even if it is equally used by the woman. The man maybe more likely to be driving when both are in the car.

Proper statistical studies are more complex than news reporters want to do.  It makes you wonder about how accurate the rest of the news is?!