What drivers kill the most pedestrians?

If I read this right a pedestrian was ticketed for failure to yield, I wonder if most of the pedestrians killed are also male. Would this ticket mean he is liable for damages?

"Pedestrian struck by vehicle
9/29 2:30 p.m.

A pedestrian who crossed Green Bay Road was struck by a vehicle and injured Tuesday.

William M. Reineman, 67, Burlington, was taken to Aurora Medical Center with multiple injuries, including a head wound, after the 12:06 p.m. accident, said Kenosha Police reports.

Reineman was walking west in the 7000 block when he was hit by a southbound vehicle driven by Amber A. Judeika, 16, Kenosha. Reineman was ticketed for

failing to yield the right of way at other than a cross walk."

The reason I brought this up is the OP had implicated men as worse drivers, but if a driver is not at fault for hitting a pedestrian the statistic is meaningless.

Why would they run a news story that says “Jaywalker hit by car” when they can run a story that says "over 5,000 people are injured or killed every year.
Why report facts, when made up statistics bring the ratings?

The statistic is meaningless anyway. To use it to suggest that men are worse drivers it would have to be corrolated with the percentage of the drivers on the road at any given time that are men, or the percentage of total driving done by men, or some other related statistic. Percentage of cars owned by men is a meaningless number, because if 50% of the cars are owned by women that does not mean that women do 50% of the driving.

To illustrate,

1. both my dad and my mom always had cars. My mom probably drove once a week to the grocery store. My dad not only drive to work every day, he also did all the family driving. My mom owned 50% of the cars in the family, but my dad drove 95% of the total miles.
  2. my ex and myself both always had cars. She worked from her home office, I commuted. And I did all the family driving. Again, while my ex owned 50% of the cars, I drove 90% of the miles.

The OP’s statistic is totally meaningless no matter who’s at fault in a given accident.

Statistically, 50% of highway traffic deaths involve alcohol. Most of these are male drivers, for a number of reasons. Most of these fatalities happen at night, and the most likely driver is…MALE; either driving alone, with his female companion (again most men will drive), or with other guys.

None of this means that men are worse drivers than women; it merely proves that when pedestrians get killed there is most likely a man behind the wheel.

Having said all this, I have come close to killing two pedestrians. The first one was a bag lady who decided to take a shortcut across the exit ramp road from a large shopping mall. She just stepped in front of my car, at about 3 pm on a clear day. She was halfway under the car before I managed to stop. Luckily a nurse way to work stopped, and called both police and ambulance. The lady had some scratches on her head, but was other wise OK.

The second instance was on a busy city stret just before Christmas. The road was slick with snow, and a drunk came out of a tavern and without looking, stepped right in front of my car. He got dragged a few feet, but the slippery street resulted in no injury.

In both cases I was dead sober, driving carefully and the pedestrians were careless!!