What Does A Manufacturer Have to Do?

I have a 2004 Pacifica which has been in the shop for two weeks. The car was starting weakly and or not starting at all. We also noticed that every other time we started the car, the power buttons would not work for the liftgate, and occasionally when we were in PArk all of the position buttons (P, R, N, D) would be lit up.

Took to dealer. Car has an extended 5 Yr / 85K mile warranty from Chrysler. Dealer says it is starter. Replace it, no solution. Alternator? no solution. Ignition power supply? no solution. Power train computer? no solution. Finally the dealer called Chrysler HQ and they suggested replacing the body control computer. Yep, no solution. The dealer says they are at a loss, and they don’t think the HQ guys have any better ideas. So what happens in this situation. If the maker of the car can’t fix it and it is under warranty do they treat it like a Lemon law type of situation?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer. Did I mention we left the car in GA while we came home to VA to pack up our house and move abck down to GA?

Kim

Wow, the manufacture should be able to fix it or give you a solution. I would hope they checked all the grounds, especially all the ground points in the dash.

Well an extended warranty is really an insurance policy and it grants your rights as spelled out in the policy. You will need to read it to find out what is or is not covered. They are not all the same. You also may want to take a look at the lemon laws for your state. //www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/bbb/lemon_law.jsp

Good Luck

Starting weakly? Does this mean the starter motor was turning the engine over very slowly?

If this is the case, what about cleaning the battery cable ends and load testing the battery? Is the battery the original?
If it is then it is 4 years old and could be due for replacement. Many fail while younger than that.
It’s also possible that the starter could just be one that is suffering an early death or is worn out due to a large number of starting cycles. The starter should also be load tested.

I have no idea if any of this has been checked or not, but if the “starting weakly” is what I assume it to be then that is what I would check first.