What do you folks use for eye protection?

If you do work on cars, I’m sure this has happened to you. You’re laying under the car, reaching up for something, and you knock off a piece of engine dirt, and a tiny piece falls into your eye and gets stuck there. Ouch! Sometimes this happens b/c I had to remove my safety glasses b/c I needed a perfectly clear view of what I was looking at. I use those clear plastic sort of wrap-around inexpensive safety glasses. Usually $3 to $6 a pair. Three problems with these though, one is that they don’t form a tight seal to the face, so sometimes dirt can still get into the eye especially from the top or at the corners; two, the plastic is curved and distorts the view; and third, they scratch very easily.

Ideally I’d like a pair of safety glasses that are perfectly clear, don’t distort the view or easily scratch, or otherwise impair visibility and form a better seal to the face. Any ideas?

Get protection AND illumination ! Many styles and types are available…

In a very dusty environment…where particle protection is not enough…I use SWIMMING goggles to seal around the eye.
No dust or shavings.
I learned this in household and woodworking and it transfers well to automotive.

I have the cheapo plastic ones in bi-focal for a better close up view.

The old Sopwith Camel airplane goggles would be cool too , but I couldn’t find any of those before my last crawl space fiberglass insulation job.

I had to have an MRI done, first question, can you guarantee no metal slivers have ever gone into your eyes?. I said no I cannot, had to have a skull xray before the MRI, just so you know. In response to op maybe a face shield.

I wear something like this.

Without the bifocals I can’t read or see anything up close. So I wear them all the time in the shop.

Tester

I use corrective lenses. But my eye glass place makes me safety glasses with an OSHA-certified frame and shatter-proof, scratch-resistant lenses with a UV coating. They have snap-on side shields to be OSHA compliant. They look good. And they cost less than the designer glasses. I’ve been using them for years.

I don’t need correction for auto work. What do you think about this type? Small, flat surface, side meshed.

Any safety glasses is better than no safety glasses.

The only thing I don’t like about those type of safety glasses is that they block your peripheral view.

Tester

GeorgeSanJose said, “I don’t need correction for auto work. What do you think about this type? Small, flat surface, side meshed.”

I like 'em. True they may not keep every spec of dirt out of your eye but your boss (assuming you have one) won’t be able to deny workman’s comp. Old fashioned cool utilitarian look.

I use goggles over my glasses especially when disconnecting and reconnecting a battery. You never know when a slight spark can blow up a battery. I may get acid on my face but have a garden hose ready next to me. I have seen batteries blow up and not fun as its like a grenade going off ( sounds like an M-80 ). I may get some acid on me but the most valuable of the 5 senses is your sight. You were born with 2 eyes and you do not get another set once damaged. Always wear protection when working with batteries. I keep a pair in my car in case I need a jump or have to jump someone, and I do all the connections, not the other guy. if done “correctly” you will never pop a battery. One reverse hook up can blow the electronics in your car. The final connection should be to the engine block and not to the neg terminal of a battery

I use those cheap plastic things - and they’re always scratched up and a can become s problem for clear vision. And every time I put them I say I have to pick up a bunch and I never do. So I just muddle through.

And I have to say that I had never seen the bifocal versions. I’ve pretty much gotten to that point though so I’ll be picking some up soon - unless I keep forgetting about it.

@cigroller‌

You can get bifocal safety glasses with magnifiers at both bottom and top of the lens. So if you need to look up, it sure helps.

Tester

I use a clear google over my glasses. Always did working on cars especially batteries. It’s more important now with vision in only one eye left.

@Tester, excellent info - thanks so much. Those are the ones I’ll be looking for. Sometimes I just need to read the back of the darned bottle or something. But then sometimes I’m under the car trying to inspect that little tiny [insert thing here] - and can’t always look down at it - as I’m sure you well know.

I could use the a set of the magnifiers too…to fit over my glasses…I am 63 and retired and the old eyes are not what they used to be. I have only one good eye ( my right one ) 20/20 with glasses but was born with a vision problem in my left eye. which can only be corrected to 20/60 with glasses. I still passed the FL drivers license eye test every 15 years ( just passed ) on my renewal so good for a long time. Missed 3 letters out of 10 for my left eye.

For wood cutting wood and going in the woods and working,get a combo face screen ,earmuff.hardhat-for the undercar experience and general I like the idea of the swimmers goggles or face shield,for pitys sake use something!-Kevin

I use a couple of different ones. I have some that have yellowed with age (except for the lenses) but they still seal snugly around the eyes. The other ones that I use came from the plant that makes Toyota transmission cases. They’re lightweight and disposable and I got several when I started work there.

I used to wear safety glasses like the ones you show from AO when I worked in a steel mill. They worked well for me. And for everyone else, for that matter. They were standard issue.

For work other than lying under the car, as well as under the car, I use a full face shield. I find I can see much better than with safety glasses.

On PBS specials I’ve seen surgeons wearing half shields to protect their eyes from flying tissue & bone. If I can find some I’m going to try them. I wore prescription lenses until February of 2013, and for all those years I had those with side shields.