What do you drive?

Hi guys!

Like this thread states, I am just curious what you all currently drive as your daily driver? How many miles are on it, and how long do you plan to keep it? I currently own a 2017 Mazda CX-5 with 5k miles. I love it and plan to keep it for sometime!

Also, does anyone have any high mileage (or had) Mazda’s? If so, how was the reliability at higher mileages? Did you have extended warranties?

Thanks much!

2009 Ford Focus SE

167,000 miles

Till it blows up

Never bought a new car, but the consensus around here is that most of the time you will loose money on an extended warranty. Most of my cars have been high mileage. The thing to remember is that as cars get older and rack up miles, the name doesn’t matter as much. Things are going to wear out and break due the age and/or mileage on the part. Make sure you set aside extra money in your budget every month for repairs. If you can DIY repairs and have your own tools and equipment, it can make some of the money saving a little easier. I’ve never owned a Mazda, but I know others here have and can answer those specific questions more easily.

15 Subaru Forester, 31k
will keep it as long as I can.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE, 200k it keeps on going!
2012 Toyota Corolla LE, 50k, so far so good!

I commend all of you guys for keeping cars long-term. My mom does that as well, but it’s so hard for me to driver car after driving mine. Her car just feels so “out of date.”

As much as I want to keep a car until dies, the new technology just keeps pulling at me. (I’ll most likely lease my next car.) I know what I do is financially stupid, but it’s who I am ):

A friend of my wife has had only Mazdas since her original Mazda 323 bought in the 80s. That car lasted her 15 trouble-free years when she gave it to her son who drove it for a lot more years. The replacement Protégé lasted her another 15 years until it met an untimely end in a crash.

Her current car is a 2016 Mazda 3 Sport which she will no doubt drive another 15 years.

None of her Mazdas had major mechanical work and experienced some body rust starting at age 12.

A well cared for Mazda will last at least 15 years and go 150,000 miles or more without engine or transmission work.

So, of you live in the rust belt around the Great Lakes, count on 15+ years before body rust sets in.

Happy motoring.

P.S. My wife’s 2012 Mazda 3 Sport has not had a single repair and the paintwork still looks like new.

2002 Dodge Dakota extended cab 4X4. Bought it from a friend who rarely drove it. It has 105,300 miles on the clock as of today. It’s the best truck that I’ve ever owned.

I drive a 2011 Subaru Outback Limited, with the 3.6 liter six-cylinder engine. It has been the best, most reliable vehicle that I ever owned, and I am very pleased with it.

Because I drive much less now that I am retired, it has a bit less than 80k miles on the odometer. I could probably keep it for another 10 years, but because I like to get the latest safety upgrades, I will probably trade it in in ~3 years.

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 GT. It currently has almost 113,000 miles on it. Besides maintenance, the only repair not covered by warranty was a rear wheel bearing (at 78,000 miles) that Mazda covered 50% of the cost. Total out-of-pocket repair expense, to date, is about $200. I had two rear brake calipers that had a design defect that Mazda covered 100% (and there is also a recall with extended warranty coverage).

My experience has been fantastic. The car still runs and drives like new. I used to buy Hondas and Toyotas, for reliability, but they were always boring. This car is fun to drive. Plus my dealer service department is very helpful, doesn’t overcharge me, and doesn’t suggest “nonsense” maintenance. I expect to get over 200,000 miles out of this car without much trouble.

2005 Scion tC, 249,000 miles.
Bought new in 2005. I plan to keep it forever. Or until I die, whichever comes first. :grin:
Here’s a photo taken earlier this year.

Daily driver : 2016 Mustang GT , it has about 17k miles on it now, I plan on keeping it at least until the new S650 Mustang comes out which should be around 2021/2022. At which point, I’ll decide if I want get a new one or keep this one, add a supercharger and turn it into a weekend cruiser and maybe get a more grown-up car to daily.

Beater : 1997 F-150 , it has about 86k on it, doesn’t get driven much, just mainly to the dump, and when it snows. I has low mileage for it’s age, but it’s age is starting to catch up with it, every year it seems to need some manner of evap line replaced, I suspect that the critters chew on the rubber lines while it sits for weeks on end, and there’s a small amount of visible rust on the lower sills. I’ve had the truck for about 15 years now and didn’t pay much for it when I got it. I’ll replace it when it starts nickel and diming me constantly, With another 5-6 year old truck. I’d love find a low-mileage 2005-2007 F-250/350 V10.

Ongoing Project : 1974 Triumph TR6, it’s been in the family since new. My father and myself have been restoring it off and on over the past decade or so. We redid the interior, rebuilt the seats, new carpet, new dash pad, new wooden dash,etc. We took the body off the frame and fabricated two new crossmembers to replace the ones that had rusted away. New front shocks, new rebuilt lever shocks in the back, new brakes, chased down (but did not fully eradicate) some electrical gremlins, new clutch a few new trim pieces and so on. Right now, it needs paint (it’s not in primer or anything, it was repainted in the mid 80’s but it needs to be repainted again. it needs a top that’s the right color, the original lasted until the early 90’s the replacement top is still in working order, but for some reason my dad got a tan top instead of the correct black top. The carbs are leaking air (they were rebuilt in the early 90’s but could use another rebuild. The car has 95k miles on it, so the entire engine could likely use a refresh after 40+ years. These cars have been steadily appreciating over the last decade. So throwing $15k at it for new paint, rechroming the bumpers, and an engine rebuild wouldn’t be a totally irresponsible thing at this point. I plan on keeping this car forever.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!

1 Like

I drive a 2010 Mazda CX-7, bought new and have almost 27k on the clock. I don’t go very far for most of my driving, and I doubt I’ll give this car up for a long time to come, especially since I’m considering buying a brand new Mustang soon. The 7 is AWD so it would take place as a winter beater instead of a daily driver.

2000 GMC Sierra 2500
180,000ish miles
I love it, so I’m gonna drive it til it dies. It’s very dependable, runs great, and the only major issue I have ever had with it is that it seems to make my right foot heavier when I drive it…

1 Like

2015 Subaru Forester, only 23,000 miles at the moment, plan to keep it as long as possible.

I grew up in a family where we kept cars from new and with the exception of the VW totaled at 12yrs old we’ve had cars for 18-21yrs.

Mom’s 1990 Mazda Protoge went 194,000 before she upgraded after 19yrs and had no engine problems other than fixing a cam seal leak. We had a trusted independent looking after the car from 30,000 miles on so it was basically routing servicing and wear items. The Mazda’s owned by co-workers (3,5,6’s) have been bulletproof with a couple with over 200,000 miles and climbing.

A 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII which is and has been the most reliable and comfortable car I’ve ever owned. At 275k miles it still looks great, runs like new, and uses no oil between changes. It’s my daily driver.

A 1998 GMC Sonoma with a 100k miles and a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti; the latter being a hot rod toy to play with.

Wow! It’s amazing how long cars can last if you properly service them!

I am hoping that my Mazda stays trouble free. I did a lot of research, test drives, etc. and by far found this the most fun suv to drive!

Everyone keeps telling me I should have gone with a brand new CR-V. I can’t say I was all that impressed with it.

Let 'em. And smile a big smile at 'em when you drive by them.

For the record, my son just bought a brand new Mazda CX-5 (I think) to replace his Audi. He tried a lot of vehicles and felt this one was the best “drivers car” in its class. He loves it, and says it’s a lot less costly to own than the Audi.

He also bought a new fully-loaded Odyssey for a family buggy. They love that one too.

1 Like

A -68 Morris Minor pick-up. See the picture. Owned since -91. Mileage - way north of 500k. miles. Annual service cost, around 300 USD DIY and some (few) hours of fun maintenance and a few bucks. And I’m not easy on it, It’s living a hard life.
I can’t afford to get rid of it - I’ll have to apply for a divorce :grin:

1 Like

Where’s the picture?