What do you drive?

Look at asterix, then turn your eyes just a tad to the left.
I’ll try to find a better picture. No promises.

BTW. Is that what is called an avatar?

The image is teeny-tiny and the front and rear ends are chopped off.
I tried saving it to desktop to open it using a picture program and enlarge it, but the front and rear ends are still chopped off and it’s too tiny to enlarge.

Sure. I don’t bother with those sorts of things.

03 trailblazer, 190k, a few wheel bearings, starter motor, sway bar links, decided this year trailblazer is a little long in the tooth for reliable transportation, pinion seal is leaking, shop noted oil leak cleaned it up and will check next oil change, blew through 1 qt of oil in 3k miles, first oil loss ever, for 2 1k mile round trips per year with the dogs and stuff, so now have a 2017 Rav4 3k miles wifey car for the road trips. Trailblazer is pretty much a town car, driving around town or 100 mile trips, I will drive it until a repair is greater than what I wish to spend on it.

edit forgot $800 for rusted out power steering line.

1990 F150 & 1982 Dodge D150 no idea on mileage on either one they get regular maintenance & run great use some OIL but not bad. The biggest problem I had was with the F150 was the transmission that that I posted about last year & last august blowed head gakest’s. The mechanic that replaced them think’s that they were oem. I have had the F150 about six year’s & the Dodge aout 14 year’s will keep both till they fall apart also I don’t like all the new technology & living in the south no rust problems.

1 Like

Here’s a picture of it. Getting the correct tires is another thing on the to-do list as well. The bumper over-riders will probably go when the bumpers and luggage rack get rechromed.

1 Like

My daily driver is a 2017 Honda Accord EX-L sedan with the 4-cyl engine and auto transmission. Baltimore/DC traffic is disgusting and I wanted a comfortable, fuel efficient sedanwith autoto handle the vile drives to and from work. It replaced a 2005 Honda Accord EX V6 with auto transmission and 190,000 miles. I didn’t want to change thetiming belt again at 210,000 miles, nor did I want another Accord that would need a timing belt replacement. After 5000 miles or so, I’m pleased with my decision for a daily driver.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo with the 6 speed manual, bought brand new 1/2017; has ~ 16K miles on it.
Not back to the dealer yet, maintaining it myself, will see if it holds up.

Oh, man is that sweet. I test drove one many years ago and had a blast.
Did you try Coker for the tires?

2009 Mexican Sienna in Mexico, probably around 65,000 miles. I do not love this Sienna yet, but can’t tell you why.

2002 Sienna parked in McAllen due to Mexican laws can’t import it. Love that car. 222,000 miles, motor and transmission like new. I think I could drive it to Alaska with no more preparation than checking out parked tires.

My son has, or had, a 2002 Mazda Protege, with over 300,000 miles last time we talked which was quite a while ago. Also ran like new both the motor and transmission, hyper maintains them.

I’ve been able to source redline tires from Coker and Avon. But I’m thinking of getting a set of upsized Panasport wheels and getting some modern tires. The selection goes up dramatically with 16 inch wheels. I’ll hold on to the original wheels of course. For engine rebuild, I’d like to modernize it a little (nothing that would show); electronic ignition, roller rocker arms, clean up the head (bump the compression up to a more reasonable 9:1 or thereabouts), nothing too radical. I’ve been talking with other folks who have Triumphs, MG’s, and Healey’s at our local Cars & Coffee, and pretty much everyone universally agrees that modern tires are the biggest improvement you can make with these cars. There is vigorous debate on how much modernizing is “proper” though. Most everyone is on board with electronic ignition, but things like semi-modern downdraft carbs or using much more reliable Toyota parts (gearboxes, steering, rear axle assemblies,etc) are hot button topics.

Oh, the pain! The OEM wheels and tires are so perfect for the car!!
To each his own, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you talking about those V shaped rubber pointers on the front bumper? I think those give the car a great period look to it. Your insurance company should give you a better rate with those installed. :slight_smile:

I agree. I like them. They bring me back to '73, when 5-mph bumpers were first required. They’re memory-invoking.

The stock tires are 185/R15 . Which is something like 185/80/R15 or 185/85/R15 in today’s parlance. (Perhaps @CapriRacer could set the record straight). Lots of sidewall for a sports car. 205/70/R15’s are pretty close in size and much more common. Only a very few people that I’ve met with similar cars still use the stock sized tires. If you want to drive the car (and mine isn’t a low-mileage time capsule) modern tires are considered a must have. Right now it has 205/75/R15’s on it, and they are not ideal at all (Dad had them put on when the 2nd or 3rd set of redline tires (Michelins) dry-rotted. ( I still have the original full-sized spare, but I certainly wouldn’t trust it. )

I have an agreed-upon value insurance plan for the car. I don’t think the bumper overriders really factor into it much. Part of me wants to get rid of them (I’d keep them on hand though as you can’t get replacements as far as I know, and they are still in very good condition.) since the early TR6’s didn’t have them, and the UK-spec TR6’s didn’t have them either. They only reason they are there are because they were a quick fix for a government mandate. But on the flip side, they are original to the car.

I can. A 185R15 is an 82 aspect ratio. That means there isn’t anything currently available. Further, you won’t find anything close enough to use.

Ah … I stand corrected! I went to Tire Rack and found that Vredestein has a model called the Sprint Classic in the 185R15 size. I also went to Coker Tire and they also have 185R15’s available. So maybe I should have said, you won’t find anything available in a “modern” size.

Further, I found that a 205/70R15 will also work - except you’ll have to see if you have enough side clearance (probably!)

Please be aware that you will want to use the 185’s - not the 185’s with an aspect ratio after the size.

Oh and for others that are interested, I have a webpage on tire sizing and how it works:

Barry’s Tire Tech - Tire Sizing

3 Likes

I drive a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic in B5 Blue. It has the 5.7L V8 with about 113K miles on it.

I’ve had it about a year and a half now. The previous owner had to put a brand new transmission on it, and then sell it when his small family grew too large for a 2 door car.

Overall it’s been reliable and fun. It’s had a few issue with the brakes, and I had to put new tires on it. It loses/burns about half a quart of oil between changes.

All of that goes by the wayside when I start it in the morning. There’s something special about a V8.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder, 185K miles - my project vehicle, drive it for skiing, camping and just getting stuff around.
thanks to this community supporting me as I was getting it repaired last year when I purchased it.
learned a lot :slight_smile:
now it’s B-grade cosmetically, A-grade mechanically

2007 Nissan Altima, 93K miles - commute vehicle of my daughter, 68K miles in NYC, then her for 2 years
replaced struts, liquids and belt, repainted “shedding” headlights.
now it’s B-grade cosmetically, A-grade mechanically

2012 Nissan Altima, 76K miles - my commute.
purchased new, maintain like I’m gonna keep it for 20 years, but I’m not :slight_smile:
pretty much “like new” now

2013 Mazda3, 71K miles - my wife’s commute
purchased 3 month ago with 68K miles, replacing 2012 Sentra, which failed CVT transmission at 42K from purchasing new and carefully maintained similar to my Altima.
I had to clean the interior as apparently it had tobacco smell, which started bleeding through a couple of weeks after purchase, replaced fluids and sew a torn pocket in passenger seat, the rest is A-grade

I’m unfamiliar with that other brand, but I know that Coker tires meet all modern D.O.T. standards. They’re basically period tires outside on modern carcasses.

Vredestein is an old Dutch tire manufacturer that has been acquired by Apollo - an up and comer out of India.

I would trust those guys as much as I would trust Coker - because, if I remember correctly, they buy the old molds and the rights to the name, and have other folks manufacture the tires. I only sort of believe that. I am having a hard time believing that Michelin would allow that to happen - so maybe there’s a mix of arrangements.