What do you do with the pretend "sports" cars

You wouldn’t be enjoying a feeling of elitism, now, would you?

A CRX would have to pack 344 HP to equal the stock weight:HP ratio of a stock Corvette Z06 (505 HP @ 3162#).

I didn’t say it was a Z06 either.

Maybe you also missed the Ford GT and Dodge Viper.

LOL. A good-condition CRX can be gotten for 3-4 thousand bucks. Call it 2-3 more to boost it right if you do the work yourself. I certainly hope a $7,000 sport-compact gets beaten by a $150,000 limited edition supercar.

Reminds me of when I was doing a “track tour” at 115mph or so in my MR2 at Road America a couple years ago. Some dude in an SLR McLaren passed me like I was standing still (of course). After the run he was acting pretty cocky about it. Well, i paid $5,000 for my MR2. . you paid a million for your little toy. I say my fun-to-dollar ratio is a helluva lot better than yours :wink:

the original point was that import 4-bangers can be turned into fast cars that will beat a 300hp Mustang. I think that point stands. Will my CRX beat a Z06 or a GT or a Lambo? I sure hope not.

Perhaps the parachute on the back of your lincoln gave it away? :slight_smile:

(Cue the music)Son, you’re gonna drive me to drinkin’ if you don’t stop driving that hot…rod…lincoln.

I’ve used the fake start a few times to get 'em riled up. You can bet the guy in your first story was glad no one was around to see he got beat by your “sled”.

He’s lucky there wasn’t any oncoming traffic. Though you woulda did us a favor by having one less ricer on the road today.

What do you do with pretend “sports” cars? You give them the trophy for first place!

Anyone with 300 HP can run a race, but to do that with a four-cylinder tuner car takes some skill.

(flame warning)

What are you stupid? Do you want to kill someone for driving a japanese import, or for modifying it? Which one? Why would you support this post? Whoever it was with the lincoln is being an idiot. You don’t street race. Period. If you street race, you’re a moron. Even if it’s some “backward cap wearing stereo rattling ricer,” that’s not an excuse for being a brainless street racer.

I only finished what they started and I would certainly not have done either one with traffic around. My street racing days were over many years ago after I sold my Super Bee.

The first guy would have been beaten worse if I had turned the A/C off and REALLY hammered it. He only got 2/3 throttle as it was.
It’s not elitism at all; more of a life lesson on humility. :slight_smile:

Now that’s funny!

Speaking of beat downs, you should have seen the test and tune night at Thunder Valley raceway summer before last.
A kid showed up with a modded Subaru WRX and lined up against a Ford King Cab diesel dually with a toolbox in the rear. The truck was also running the A/C and had the stereo blasting.

The truck beat that Subaru like a freckle-faced, red-headed stepchild at WalMart as we say in OK.
About 15 car lengths the first time and about 12 lengths the second run. In both runs it was over for the Subaru by the 300 foot mark.
It surprised the BeeJeezus out of me actually. The Subaru was running low 14s but who would have thought that heavy truck would be turning low 12s on diesel power?

Let me clarify something. There are some decent ricer cars that dont get driven like nuts, possibly because of age / income demographics.
Nissan 350 Z (superb car)
Mitsubishi 3000 GT ( Geezer Transportation, good car)
Mazda Rx 8.
And not to mention that the German and American Sports cars are also usually seen being driven in a very civilized manner on the streets. ( there are exceptions every where, son borrows it…)
It is the people who take a piece of shit and try to trick it out that drive with a chip on their shoulder.
I think the lawn mower owners are desperately trying to prove something.
Hence the Incidents. I love the Lincoln story. It is the ricers fault for not having a brain. A ricer having less mass is also not very crashworthy.
Like I said my car puts out 300 in factory condition. And I can get it up to 600 by spending a little cash, but thats not my objective. There is nothing less appealing than street racing with these kids.
A ricer revving at 7500 RPM, I can care less, because they need to to put out any thing. I FORD 4.3 red lines at 6200 RPM, but it is putting out the Max Torque and Max HP long before that. Hell I know diesel Trucks that can smoke any ricer because of the Torque they put out at lower RPMs.

Other than that the engine is stock. His normal shift range is 7200 RPM’s when racing. Try that with your mustang gt and see how long it will last. If it will even each that high of RPM.

Ford 4.3 is not a lawn Mower Engine, hence it doesnt need to be turning at 7200 RPM. How many RPMs you need is a function of the displacement and torque curve of the engine.
With a solid rear axle, I can keep juicing up the engine till I can get about 600HP. But that not my objective. And if I do that that car will be kept just for the track.
And who cares if you can beat a V8 with the ricer, just have enough confidence in yourself and your ride to drive like a human on your commute. If you take a piece of junk and trick it up, it will be driven like a piece of junk with very low residual value.

Agreed. Keep it on the track. Racing has no place on the streets.

Oh, you might want to watch the language. I don’t mind personally, but you can easily offend others with that kind of language.

Very Impressive. Very very impressive. I liked the fact that the Truck was tracking very straight even under heavy acceleration.

Silly question; What does drag racing have to do with “sports cars”? It sounds like you are talking about pretend muscle cars.

The ricer crowd does provide a couple of rays of sunshine though.
They provide some levity in a somewhat turbulent world and are often on the forefront of automotive home engineering. American ingenuity at its finest.
Check this one out and examine the ground effects package very closely. Who would have thought? I’m seriously considering this idea for my Mark since cleaning leaves won’t be a regular chore due to the mounting.

Speaking for myself, I would have never dreamed of examining the utility closet for performance parts.

(Just teasin’. Enjoy.) :slight_smile:

Point taken.
This is a public apology for the language.
Quazi

This is a lively and entertaining discussion. However, I think the real issue is what to do with young drivers that don’t have the common sense and experience to drive safely. Every likes to think they have a fast car. However, young drivers are absolutely fearless and that’s a very bad thing. They have no respect for the road and drive like knuckleheads. As adults, it’s our responsibility to fight our inclination to “put them in their place” – if nothing else, to avoid some idiot ricer torque-steering their FWD car into you or some innocent bystander. Every week I see another another tragic story of teenagers killing themselves and others on the roads.

As a car nut, I drive one of those ultra high performance Japanese AWD Group A rally cars that now sell here. I constantly get challenged and buzzed by kids wanting to take a shot at my car. A friendly smile, shake of the head, and a wave is all it takes to send them on their way. If an older person does that to you, well, then he/she is just an idiot that you need to ignore for your own good.

Finally, there is always *999/911 to call the highway patrol to nail those street racing idiots that kill people every week. One of the teachers in my area was nearly killed with her husband when a group of out of control street racers hit them on the expressway. She spent a good part of the year in the hospital and will never be the same.

P.S. Please don’t street race your live axle mustang on bumpy streets with curves…there’s a reason why Ford exec’s called it a “kiddy-killer” when they were struggling with how to make it safe…

The serious side to this issue is that a lot of these ricer types flat Mickey Mouse and slop everything on them together, especially in regards to the suspension.
There are a number of them (fewer lately though) that drive around with 4 or 5 degrees of negative camber on the front wheels, toe set at 1/2" out, hacksawed coil springs, and just about anything else you could think of.
Even seriously reversed wheels protruding 4 or 5 inches outside of the fenders are a safety hazard and obviously many of these people don’t realize that by extending the wheels out on the suspension they’re also increasing the force applied to ball joints, struts, etc.

Just last year a ricer (a decent looking car for the most part) like this turned into the local K-Mart one afternoon and popped a ball joint right then and there. It destroyed the wheel, fender, ground effects, and several other suspension components. One would have to think the excessive neg. camber and reversed wheels had something to do with this. The one plus is that it happened while he was turning at slow speed instead of coming unglued at 70 MPH.

You are right on the money. The actual issue is driving style, is it associated with a particular group / type of cars?? maybe, and I think that “maybe” is generating all this debate.
Please rest assured about street racing, I have no desire to do that. Too many miles on the road and seen too many tragedies to even think about it. Mustang is one of the cars that needs to be driven with a semi death grip on bumpy and curvy roads.