What do I do with the recalled Toyota I bought a month ago?

News reports state Toyota is suspending sales on the 8 recalled models. I bought a 2010 Rav a month ago and want a refund!!! I definately would not have purchased it if I knew what was coming!

Any chance this ever happens?

Thanks!

Probaly not.
Doesn’t hurt to ask but i’ll bet they say just wait for the repair to be decided upon.

Not a chance.

Would you rather own a vehicle that was recalled for a problem or one that has a problem and was not recalled for it?

Recalls are a fact of life. All makes have one occasionally. Just bring it back and have the recall work done.

Slim to none and Slim just left town.

Don’t panic. Toyota believes that they understand the problem. If they understand it, they may have a repair soon if not already. Toyota said the problem appears to be related to the build-up of condensation on sliding surfaces in the mechanism that helps drivers push down or release the gas pedal. Contact your dealer and set up an appointment to have your accelerator checked. Just because some people have had the problem is not a sure sign that you will. Of the millions of cars involved in the recall, only six deaths have been attributed to sticky accelerators.

Just take it back and have it fixed. It doesn’t mean it’s a lemon!!

Right you are!

Drive the vehicle until the dealership gets the replacement parts, then have it fixed. It won’t cost you a dime.

Of course they still have to figure out how to fix it.
Absolutely zero chance of a refund.

I’m afraid you’re overreacting. All they owe you is a fix. In meantime, just be prepared to put the car in neutral in the unlikely event that you actually experience the problem.

You should be talking with the dealer before and getting answers before jumping to conclusions. It should work out fine for all the good explanations you’ve had so far.

It’s really hard for a manufacturer to know what problems may crop up when a car or a part of a car is in service. I remember one case in the 1950’s where a make of car which I don’t remember had problems overheating in certain states but not in other states. In fact the states could be contiguous with the same terrain and the cars would have a tendency to overheat in one state and not the neighboring state. The problem turned out to be the placement of the front license plate. In states that had the license plate, the airflow was directed so it didn’t hit the radiator as the car was designed. Cars in states that didn’t have front license plates didn’t have the problem. The 1958 Oldsmobile had problems with camshaft failures of cars that came from certain dealers, but not from others. It turned out to be the brand of motor oil. Oldsmobile released a statement that multivisosity oil was not be used in these engines, even though some brands of multiviscosity oil worked perfectly well in the engine. Firestone had its infamous 721 radial tires. Apparently the adhesive between the belts and the tread deteriorated with age which didn’t show up until the tires had been in service for a while.
I’m glad automakers take action and recall cars with defects. My son’s inlaws had a Lincoln town car which caught fire in the middle of the night. Even though the car was parked outside the house, the fire jumped into the eaves of the house and did considerable damage. Not long after that, Ford recalled a lot of cars for a defective cruise control that could lead to fires. Ford did have to pay damages to the house when the insurance company went after Ford.

The chances of a problem are very slim. I had a Ford Aerostar that was recalled because there was a chance that the ignition switch could start a fire even when the car was off. I didn’t have a problem, but appreciated the recall for added insurance that I wouldn’t have a car fire.

I agree that receiving a refund under these circumstances is not likely. After all, this particular RAV has apparently not suffered the “stuck accelerator” problem, so at this point, it could not be argued that the vehicle is actually defective. And, if you look at the info that I just posted in the other thread on this issue, Toyota corporate states that the problem is apparently worse “on older models”.

As lion9car stated, just be prepared to throw the transmission into neutral if you experience this problem. More than likely, you will have no problem. Just wait for your recall letter in the mail.

RELAX!!! For years American car manufacturers have had technical problems that eventually required a forced recall, while at the same time pushing production and sales!!! The standard process was to DENY there was a problem, such as the breaking motor mounts on 60s Chevies and Pontiacs, a problem that could stick the throttle wide open. Exploding Pintos, vulnerable gas tanks on Chevy pickups and numerous other potentially very dangerosu defects were ignored until recalls were forced on the manufacturers.

Here we have an honest and concerned manufacturer, and their actions appear to be backfiring. It seems US customers prefer to be lied to until the storm dies down and a recall is issued.

Toyota is doing exactly what the great consumer advocate, Ralph Nader, would have wanted them to do.

“Here we have an honest and concerned manufacturer, and their actions appear to be backfiring. It seems US customers prefer to be lied to until the storm dies down and a recall is issued.”

I don’t think Toyota is any more or less concerned thatn any other manufacturer selling cars in the USA. They have denied the sticky accelerator mechanism for months. The similarity of their reaction to this problem is very similar to the Bad Apples on your list.

You have no grounds for a refund. Just ask your mechanic to check the throttle to make sure your car is safe.