Toyota shut down and discontinuation of models

We have a '10 Camry, subject to recall. In view of the act that Toyota is stopping sales of this vehicle, and is stopping production of same, what should we do? My wife is scared to drive the car, which has 2700 miles on it. Is it reasonable for the dealer to buy it back, or give us full credit toward another? My dealer also operates a Honda store and peraps can allow us to trade even for a Honda Accord. If they can do nothing, I would think of getting a lawyer involved cause my wife will not drive the car.

No, it’s not reasonable for them to buy it back.
Get out on a street with no traffic and practice putting the car in neutral while driving. If you are ready to do that and the worst thing happens and the pedal sticks, you will be okay.

I have not been paying attention, but the only problem I have heard on the news is a floor mat that is not anchored well and is stiff so it can press the gas pedal.

If that is the only problem, just pull out the driver floor mat and drive the car with confidence until Toyota corrects the problem.

If there is another problem with the throttle, then I would look at the rate of failure. If it is significant (e.g. more than 1 in 1000 cars, for example) I would make other arrangements for transportation rather than letting a family member drive it. I would not expect Toyota to buy it back unless it cannot be fixed.

Calm down, it’s just a recall. They haven’t discontinued the models affected, they’ve just stopped building more until they get new parts to fix the problem. As soon as they get the new, improved parts they’ll start building, and selling, cars and trucks again.

When your Toyota dealer gets the replacement parts he will fix your Toyota for free and all will be well.

It’s highly unlikely you’ll ever have a problem with your Camry, and you shouldn’t be afraid to drive it.

If, by some freak chance, the throttle should stick, shifting to neutral will allow you to safely steer and stop the car.

Show your wife how easily the transmission can be shifted to neutral, even while in motion. You don’t even have to push the button on the shifter, just push it to neutral.

Manolito, you really haven’t been paying attention, have you? This is big.

Agree, it’s a recall and Toyota is being extra careful, to their credit, by stopping sales and production temporarily. The dealer will fix the gas pedal free of charge and you’ll be a happy owner again for many years. As stated, only a very small percentage malfunction, and if you keep driving, put the car in neutral if the throttle sticks.

This is a far cry from Audi completely denying there was anything wrong with their acceleration plagued models, and the many other recalls of US cars (all initially denied by the makers) which were mandated by the government.

Amazing the bad press about Audi still makes people believe it was a problem. After exhaustive investigation by NHSTA find no mechanical defect and 60 Minutes recanting and I believe settling with Audi.

It is very unreasonable for a dealer to take the car back. Remember they sell and service the car but do not design or produce it.

You will get trade in for it but not “full credit”.

Sorry about your wife’s fears. Lawyers cost money and likely more than the trade in loss.

That’s right. In Audi’s case it was driver error. They were stepping on the gas instead of the brake.

Yes, but she’s afraid to drive it NOW. I could be months until a fix comes through, I want my dealer…a fair and reputable dealer…to do something NOW. I talk to them Friday.

I’ve been watching this carefully because we own a Lexus ES-350. The Lexus models are NOT affected by THIS recall. We did get a recall notice for the floor-mat issue.

This issue is related to the Pedal wearing down after use and not springing back after you take your foot off the pedal. Watching the news last night they stated the Lexus models were NOT effected because they were manufactured in Japan and used a different supplier for the gas pedal. I’ve been trying to confirm this.

“This is a far cry from Audi completely denying there was anything wrong with their acceleration plagued models, and the many other recalls of US cars (all initially denied by the makers) which were mandated by the government.”

Well, maybe not so far. Toyota has denied this problem for months. Fortunately for
current and future owners, they acknowledged the problem once they were able to duplicate it. If they had not duplicated it, I’m sure that there would not be a recall or wirk stoppage yet.

It is not reasonable to expect the dealer to buy the car back. It is also not reasonable to expect them to do anything before Toyota is able to advise them on what will be done. If a fix is to be made, they will likely do a staggered recall, as it is impossible to fix 2 million cars all at once, even if a new part is available, which it is not at this time.

I just found this…

Quote from above link…

"The supplier is CTS Corp., based in Elkhart, Indiana, and the problem part was manufactured at its plant in Ontario, Canada, according to a report Toyota handed to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last week.

CTS has not replied to a request for comment sent earlier this week."

The dealer is not yet authorized by Toyota to take the car back. If you are that risk averse, then trade it in for the Honda. You can pay a lawyer, but all it will do is line hos pockets at your expense. If you can afford to do that, then go ahead. There is a very small chance that you might get somewhere. You will have to prove at least that Toyota and the dealer knew the issue existed before you bought the car and that they should have taken these steps then.

Yes, but she’s afraid to drive it NOW. I could be months until a fix comes through, I want my dealer…a fair and reputable dealer…to do something NOW. I talk to them Friday.

Imagine if people actually were compensated based on fear. If you think the legal system is a mess now…

If you look at the frequency of occurance versus the total number of vehicles on the road, the percentage is so miniscule that a reasonable person would conclude it was something to prepare and watch for but not stop driving the car altogether. They have already posted a list of things to watch out for and how you should react in the extremely unlikely event something does happen.

Mass hysteria based on a few actual events…

Toyota is not doing this because they care. It’s a move that came from their legal department after weighing the financial ramifications or repairs against countless lawsuits.
So soon on the heels of the Recall that was issued could lead to runaway juries.

And what is this Audi denying responsibility thing? Isn’t that urban myth about Audi unintended acceleration ever going to die?
Scratch the word “Toyota” out of every single one of these news blurbs and substitute “Ford” for example and the whining about domestic cars being junk would be deafening.

I’m not fan of Toyota in general but even I will admit that the car is, statistically speaking, safe to drive. As everybody else said, as long as you know how to put it in neutral if it starts going out of control, then keep driving in the mean time.

Word on the street is some Toyota dealers are offering rentals to concerned customers. Couldn’t hurt to call and ask nicely.

It’s not even a CYA now. The latest word is that the NHTSA FORCED the stop sale.

http://detnews.com/article/20100127/AUTO01/1270400/1148/U.S.++Toyota+was+legally+required+to+stop+selling+models

Scratch the word “Toyota” out of every single one of these news blurbs and substitute “Ford” for example and the whining about domestic cars being junk would be deafening.

Just to clarify…

The part in question is ONLY for American and some European made Toyota’s. The part was made by an American company in Canada. The same Toyota vehicle made in Japan used one made by a different manufacturer (i.e. made in Japan) and they are NOT having this problem.