What did the 66 stand for in Phillips 66?

Do not recall any in Pennsylvania. But I was a teen not paying attention.
Wencountered the first Phillips 66 when we moved to Colorado in 1966!
Amazing that our locaPhillips 66 would give away drinkinglasses (and glass dishes?)
Thank you.

According to the Phillips Petroleum Company Museum in Bartlesville, the “Phillips 66” name for the gasoline came about by a combination of events The [specific gravity]) of the gasoline was close to 66; the car testing the fuel did 66 miles per hour; and, the test took place on [US Route 66. So, the naming committee unanimously voted for “Phillips 66.

5 Likes

Their logo was that of a Highway sign. For me, growing up in the Midwest, born near the eastern end of Route 66, these stations were common. Back in the 60s many stations had freebies such as glasses. I had quite a few beer glasses from Clark’s 100.

2 Likes

Phillips 66 gasoline stations were quite common in Indiana. Back in the 1950s, Phillips petroleum sponsored the television show “I Led Three Lives” based on the real life person Herbert A. Philbrick, a citizen who joined the Communist party and fed information to the FBI. His three lives were citizen, communist, and counterspy. In the television series, Richard Carlson played the role of Herbert A. Philbrick.

2 Likes

I doubt it. Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of the material to the density of water. A specific gravity of 66 implies that gasoline is 66 times denser than water. Uranium has a density of 19.1 g/cc while water density is 1 g/cc. I don’t think there is a material with a SG of 66. Gas has a density of 0.75 g/cc or 6.3 lb/gallon. Nothing in common use matches.

2 Likes

Thoughthathey meant .66 .

1 Like

Back in the horse and buggy days, there was an expression “going like 60” as a mile per minute was considered a tremendous speed. The story goes that Phillips petroleum was testing gasoline in a motor vehicle back in the early days, when the passenger said “We’re going like 60”. The test driver said, “Even better. We’re going 66”. I heard that is where the 66 came from.

1 Like

Never heard of some of these reasons for the name. Only reason I ever heard was of Route 66 - which is the logo of the company as pointed out by @Purebred.

Phillips Petroleum Company | The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture.

On November 19, 1927, it opened its first gasoline service station, in Wichita, Kansas. Because this station lay near the new U.S. Highway 66, the company used “66” in its name. Then, in 1930, Phillips began using the U.S. highway shield as its logo, making the brand easily recognizable across the nation.

1 Like

Twin Turbo , no fair doing actual research instead of asking for things on a forum .

1 Like

That’s really odd for the museum to state. Gasoline density is around 0.75, nowhere near 0.66. Hexane is around 0.66, no car could run on it, rapid vapor lock, and its octane number is around 25.

1 Like

Mid-60s era, our local gas stations had offers like that too. Apparently they had more gasoline than customers and needed to offer an enticement. I seem to recall getting stamps when you purchased gasoline, and then gluing the stamps into booklets , and when you had enough full booklets you could get some similar product. Even into the early 70’s gas station attendants offered to check your oil, wash your windows, fill your tires as part of a gasoline purchase. Things a little different now … lol … no complaints, not that hard to wash my car’s windows.

1 Like

I am reminded of the t-shirt i got for my daughter last year that says: “Jersey girls don’t pump gas”.

1 Like

That’s likely the octane rating of n-hexane. The branched isomers likely have a much higher octane rating. Also the pressurization of a common rail EFI system raises its boiling point so vapor lock may not be a problem.

We’re talking about what was used for gas before WWII. No fuel injection.

2 Likes