What constitutes as a truck chassis?

Yeah, he saw your Wisconsin plate and knew he had a live one.

1 Like

I think safety regulations are (or were) laxer for trucks.

I am thinking back to @Mustangman comments. Somewhere a bell rings that mandates cars offered by a manufacturer with a minimum average mile rating, now the rav4 is 23/28 but if trucks are not included, wow conspiracy theory! Just to repeat the title lists chassis as truck.

SUVs and passenger vans with a versatile cargo space (folding or removable seats) are classified as light trucks by the EPA. It has been this was for 30 years, nothing mysterious about it.

From a Chicago tribune article, appears to be at the officers discretion.
ā€œThe Illinois Vehicle Code defines a truck as ā€œany motor vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.ā€ Troopers will have discretion to apply the rule to any cargo carrier, whether itā€™s an 18-wheel tractor-trailer or a carpenterā€™s pickup with a load of lumber in the back, said tollway spokeswoman Sari Mintzā€

1 Like

Any place on the NY Thruway that is 3 lanes or more in the same direction has signs posted that say, Trucks, Buses and Vehicles with Trailers are prohibited from left lane.

I was bob tailing ( driving just t6he tractor portion of a tractor trailer ) in the left lane of I-90 through downtown Buffalo when I was pulled over by a Buffalo policemen. He said he was going to give me a ticket for driving a truck in the left lane.

I said, this is not a truck. He said , donā€™t be ridiculous, of course itā€™s a truck. I said, No, itā€™s a tractor. The license plate says tractor and so does the registration.

He said, Weā€™ll see about that, and took my registration back to his car and was talking on his radio and gesturing with his arms. I could see thr red creeping up the back of his neck from his collar and he threw his microphone at the dash. He stormed back to my tru ,oops, I mean tractor and gave me back the license and registration and said, donā€™t let me catch you out there again.

I said, Yes sir. No sense pushing the point

In Virginia our 2011 Dodge Caravan is described as a ā€œSport Vanā€. So I guess it is neither car nor truck.

In summary, there is a federal definition of ā€œtruckā€ that avoids the gas guzzler tax, your stateā€™s definition of ā€œtruckā€ which may or may not match the federal definition and finally, the manufacturerā€™s source of the chassis parts used to make the vehicle.

I canā€™t stand people that just ā€œknowā€ youā€™re wrong, until/unless you can prove otherwise

Iā€™ve had bosses like that over the years

And in the end I typically did prove I was NOT wrong

Sometimes I think people are like that because they somehow have a feeling of ā€œpowerā€ when theyā€™re sure that everybody else is wrong.

But when their employees prove that they were doing everything correctly, those types of bosses usually have some stupid comment such as ā€œIt seems you were correct . . . this timeā€

Yup, that about sums it up

I got off topic . . . as usual

Iā€™m done ranting for a little while :smiley: