What can be done to negligent dealer?

I sent my 1994 Honda Accord to Kelly Honda of Lynn, MA for 120k mile level D service on April 14, 2007. Everything looks ok until a week later I heard sounds of dingdong from my front right wheel when I was driving. I stopped immediately, and found out that one of the four tire lug bolts fell apart. Thanks to the God, I was not on the highway and not far from home.

This unexpected incident motivated me for a thorough checking for what the claimed ?100% customer satisfaction? service had done to my car. What I had found surprised further, 1) at least two more lug bolts (out of four tire lug bolts) were not securely screwed because I could easily further tighten them with my wrench (I eventually went to COSTCO tire center for security check). 2) engine oil was overfilled which I later drained out about 2 quarts.

I of cause called the Kelly Honda service center to report and complaint their negligence. Nothing else was offered except for asking me driving the car to them for an investigation. What were they going to find? Dare I drive 10 miles with the loose lug bolts just for their confirmation?

On May 21, 2007, I filed a complaint (case No. N012007-05-2100749) at American Honda (1-800-999-1009) for this incident. I heard nothing since then. Can anyone provide me some advice? I hope this kind of negligence will happen to no one else especially from a so called ?quality? dealer.

Nothing will be done to the Honda dealer. The only thing they will offer is to fix it for free. Or not. You can drive it there, but after they fix it, you never have to go there again.

I of cause called the Kelly Honda service center to report and complaint their negligence. Nothing else was offered except for asking me driving the car to them for an investigation. What were they going to find? Dare I drive 10 miles with the loose lug bolts just for their confirmation?

Don't drive with the loose llug nuts.  But tighten them now and then drive there.  They need to check to make sure there has not been any damage done to the wheel.  It is a possible safety issue.

It is not a good thing to have happen, but it does happen and it is possible this is the only time in years they did it, maybe the new boy and he may no longer be there. I have done it myself on my own car.

After read your posting, I think you are lucky to be alive. There have been many serious accidents involving Lug Nuts coming off wheels.
Your complaint will certainly be dark mark at Kelly Honda. Take the car with someone else (witness in case this needs to go to court) to Kelly and have them look over the car. An investigation report must be made by Kelly and you should receive a copy of this report. This may hurt and seems silly, but this will strengthen your case against Kelly that you complied with their investigation and move this issue forward with American Honda.
You did the right thing to never drive an unsafe car just to proof a point. Kelly should reimbursement you for all money and the time it took you to get your car checked over, plus a letter of apology, noting steps taken to solve future problems. It may take the lawyers at American Honda a few weeks to resolve this issue. If you still feel that you?re stilling being ignored, the problem needs to be resolved on a higher level. There must be a safety board for automobile repair listed on the terms of repairs on the back of your original receipt. This need to be resolved though paperwork, most over the phone conversation most likely get you more upset. Good luck you’re doing the right thing for all of us.

Return to the dealer after tightening the wheel bolts. Make them inspect the threaded studs to make sure they are not damaged. The dealer should replace any damaged stud with a new one at their expense. And submit a complaint to the Better Buiness Bureau. You might also check with your state Attourney General to see if there is recourse. Since you are not hurt, I doubt that will yield anything, though. Also, if there was anything done, like draining oil, that you paid for, take the receipt to the dealer and demand repayment.

There is the possibility that this incident may have damage the lug nut bolts to your wheel. This damage may or may not be visible; having all the lug nuts replaced is the only way to make sure. The lug nut bolts may have undergone sheer stresses and metal fatigue in the week you where driving around with loose lug nuts. Having another mechanic inspected and document any visible damage. It should be a law that all bolts be replaced in cases with loose lug nuts. Check web site http://www.metallurgist.com/html/lug_nut_failure.htm

There is the possibility that this incident may have damage the lug nut bolts to your wheel. This damage may or may not be visible; having all the lug nuts bolts replaced is the only way to make sure. The lug nut bolts may have undergone sheer stresses and metal fatigue in the week you where driving around with loose lug nuts. Having another mechanic inspected and document any visible damage. It should be a law that all bolts be replaced in cases with loose lug nuts. Check web site http://www…ailure.htm

Any one can make “a” mistake, however this sounds like yout technician should be raking leaves for a living. If Kelly does not give you satisfaction, contact American Honda for your zone. YOU WILL GET RESULTS!!! Try to find an independent full service shop in your area that knows your type vehicle and patronize them exclusivly. They will be better to you than your primary care physician!! Paul DeWitt.

if they are AAA aproved speak to AAA and they could lose their rating as good garage . there is dealer in pgh that had the sons of the owner working for summer and was ask to change the district manangers car oil. he did put oil cap on and after closing hood you knew were it was left. the engine quit as he drove out the door he was playing around and did not put oil in engine. he is the best car washer they ever had. I bet he got a new engine. you would have gotten two new bearings and shoved out the door

Regarding the tightness of the lug nuts that didn’t fall off, just because you were able to tighten them further with your wrench doesn’t necessarily mean they were undertightened. Your car’s repair manual will have a specification, probably in foot pounds, for your lug nuts. It is possible to over-torque them and do damage.

Regarding the ones that did fall off and the other issues, it sounds like you have an issue. Do you have a consumer advocate who writes a column in your local paper? If so, write a letter to him or her.

Loose lug bolts can cause damage to the rim and in some vehicles the brakes. Rounded out lug holes require replacing the tire rim. Hardly think they are going to get too excited over a 94, but should fix anything which is damaged.