What are options for what appears to be a frozen window fluid problem

‘refill it with “winter mix” washer fluid. “summer mix” will freeze every time.’

Based on my experiences last winter, since there are no standards whatsoever for what constitutes a “winter” WW fluid (You know, just like there is absolutely no standard for all-season tires), a “winter” fluid might be okay, or–as I found to my dismay–it might freeze in very low temperatures. There is really no way of knowing ahead of time if that $1.99 jug of generic blue “winter” WW fluid will be good, or if it will cause problems.

That is why I recommend avoiding the cheap blue stuff with various essentially unknown brand names, and paying a bit more for Rain-X or Prestone Winter WW fluid.

Good point, VDC. I always look at the label for the “-20F” mix. I just use it all year long to be sure that when the weather gets cold I haven’t forgotten it. There are no guarantees, but I haven’t yet had a problem.

" I always look at the label for the “-20F” mix"

The junk that I bought–at Wal-Mart, IIRC–had that verbiage on the label.
Without any kind of standards, I believe that there are unscrupulous manufacturers out there who will sell WW fluid that doesn’t necessarily meet that stated standard, and that is why I will only use the aforementioned brand names for winter fluids from now on.

In the summer, I will use any brand that I find.

Point made. Reputable brand name stuff is probably more likely to actually meet its label claims. The cheap stuff is a crap-shoot.

I agree with previous posts about the sprayer nozzle being frozen up, I have thawed them out just nuzleing it with my thumb and forefinger.

It freezes in the nozzles because it’s exposed to air at the very tip where the alcohol component evaporates much more quickly than the water. The water then freezes in the tip. I find that just pouring a little warm water on the tip then running the washer immediately fixes the problem. This assumes, of course, that you have a suitable mixture in the first place.

Incidentally, I’ve always used the blue stuff and never had a problem other than the occasional frozen tip.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve tried using the premium brands that are often some color other than blue. Unfortunately, with some colors, especially yellow, it’s almost impossible to see the level inside the plastic reservoir. I wish they’d just stick with blue.

Never ever paid attention to the mix in WWF but blindly accepted the fluid regardless. Occasionally had what I though were freeze ups but at the time kept the cars inside so it went away quickly. Since we went to Rainx and started leaving the cars outside, no problem. Because, unlike anti freeze, there appears to be no color coordination amoung manufacturers, I don’t know why any color would mean anything. The new cars we bought came from the manufacturer/ dealer with blue fluids and I generally trust new car makers to have the right fluids. So, I don’t think that the color is as important as the maker.

Well I always use the blue stuff. I just can’t bring myself to use the yellow. I am going out to the garage to check the label though.

Yep, -20 blue stuff which must be why it cost so much. But causes birth defects in California so glad I’m not pregnant or live in California.

That might work, but I can tell you that even a 2 hour drive did not act to defrost my frozen

That’s because you were driving…this causes air-flow under the hood. Letting it idle will keep the engine bay warm and can melt the ice.

That is why I recommend avoiding the cheap blue stuff with various essentially unknown brand name

That’s all I’ve ever bought for the last 30+ years and never had a problem…and I don’t know anyone who has had a problem. Here in NH…I’ve never seen summer fluid. The places I buy mine at (WallMart) only sells winter fluid…even in July.

But causes birth defects in California so glad I’m not pregnant or live in California.
Ms Bing, never would have guessed. :wink:

this is the first time I have ever had the stuff I use freeze on me. I wonder if because how the Impala’s system is and open to the air allows this stuff to freeze. On my Kia van the lines were on the hood, with the impala they are on the wiper blades and go through very thin tubing which is where I think it’s freezing.

If the fluid is frozen in the wipers, I’d do this.
Turn the ignition to on…turn on the wipers…shut off the ignition while the wipers are in the mid stroke. Then you can get at them better. Put a heating pad over the wiper and thaw them that way.
Be sure to put something between the wiper and windshield…like a big towel .
I don’t know if the heating pad on a frozen windshield could crack it.

I think that most fluids are made to handle the cold weather, but you may have bought a bottle from some “Dollar Store” because you were out and it was a sloppy day…you couldn’t wait.
I know the stuff that my buddy had bought by the case…all of them froze in the bottles in his garage.

Yosemite

My thought is it is frozen in the thin lines that lead to the wipers themselves. They are exposed to where snow rests at the bottom of the windshild. As for the fluid, not sure what was in there before I bought it, I only use the same stuff from wal mart I have been using for years without problems.

I have had this happen to me in some bitterly cold weather, -15 or lower. I stop at a store and get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. We used to use it in our trucks when driving to Quebec at temps of -40F.

I topped off the fluid reserve, it was empty but did take some. Checked that this morning and it had not frozen, so my guess is it is some how frozen or blocked in those tubing lines from the reserivor to the wipers themselves. From our weather report it may be a while before they unfreeze as we won’t even get over freezing for a week or so.

As someone else mentioned then, it may be your pump. I ruined one by running it dry once. Didn’t take much. The motor still ran but wouldn’t pump anything. I think the rebuild kit was about $20. The problem now is how to get at it. Really have to have a warm place to work to trouble shoot it.

anyone know where the “pump” for this might be located? I will wait for things to thaw, if still nothing then I will look into that. It was working just fine and then like after a couple really cold nights and ice and such on the car is when this stopped spraying. The system never went dry, just maybe frozen…

^
Normally, the pump is located on the underside of the WW fluid reservoir.