Wet Rear Seat

Hi - I own a 1994 Honda Civic 4-door and in the past year or so, I have found the rear seat wet where the seat part meets the back of the seat. There is no drip through the back windshield and anything that I put on the rear seat flush with the back never gets wet on top, only from underneath so I am assuming that the water is coming from splashed up road water when it rains but how can it possibly do that unless there is one major hole in the floor of the car? The inside of the trunk seems to be dry and the floor in the back is also dry! I look underneath the car and of course all I see is the pipes and muffler, etc. and I can’t see any holes.

Any ideas?

Suessy

My 1996 Dodge Neon (and many, many other Neons) has a similar problem. The seals around the tail lights and the trunk often leak. With mine, the inside of my trunk doesn’t appear wet (occasionally a bit damp), but the inside of my spare tire well fills with water and leaks into my back seat. My rear seatbelts are nice and crusty from the road salt that infiltrated my back seat.

I had some luck sealing the tail light gaskets with a bit of silicone. It’s still not perfect, but it’s not as bad as it once was. You may want to look closely at your tail lights the next time it rains and see if you can see moisture inside. Otherwise it might take some trial and error to find the culprit.

Me, I just err on the side of caution and don’t store important things in my trunk/driver’s side rear seat when I know it’s going to rain.

Suessy:
My first thought is the fuel pump cover. If the trunk is dry and the carpet is dry you are going to have to remove the bottom seat cushion. Once it is removed there is going to be a square metal cover held to the floor with 4 or 5 screws and has a wire harness running through it. This is the access pannel for the fuel pump. Make sure it is securely attached, not bent, and the grommet for the wire harness is in place.
~Michael