Weird car problem

So I have a 2013 Nissan Versa and for the past year it has been giving me problems. It always starts if I am idle for a long time. The first time it happened, I was on my lunch break and was sitting in my car parked with the engine on for about half an hour. The AC started blowing warm air and my car would start to kinda jolt every 10 or so seconds. I put my car in reverse to back out of a parking spot, so I could head back to work. I then put my car in drive and it would not go forward and it was jolting. Even though my car was in drive and I was pressing the gas pedal, it would only go in reverse. I had to have my car towed to the dealership. When I explained to them what happened, they acted like they have never heard of something like that happening. Anyways, they “fixed” something. I don’t remember exactly what the repair was that they did that time, but it clearly wasn’t the issue since it is still happening. Since then it has been doing the same thing, but I usually if I turn my car off as soon as I notice my AC not working and wait awhile it will start and drive fine. I just can’t ever keep it idled or it will start messing up again. Ive taken it go get looked at a few more times since then and they always say that my car is fine. A couple weeks ago, I was waiting in a line in my car and I had to keep my foot on the brake for probably 20 minutes waiting for the line to move up. Well during this time, my AC started blowing HOT air. Then my car was jolting just like in the past. The next thing I know, my car is smoking horribly. It looked like it was going to blow up. I had to hurry and get out of line and my car was not driving correctly. I would press the gas and my car would jump really bad and barely move. I finally made it to the side of the road and got out. There was a huge cloud of smoke coming from my car. I had to have my car towed back to the dealership where they said that this time it happened because the battery was not the correct kind for my car. (I had my battery replaced by a repair shop a few months ago) This made absolutely no sense to me, because why would a reputable car place install the wrong battery. I really don’t believe them, but they were so sure that this was the problem. I’m a young girl and don’t know much about cars and I always feel like they take advantage of that at this dealership. I would use a different one but I have my warranty through them and they are the only Nissan dealership anywhere near me. I just don’t understand how I’m having the same problem over and over but they always do a different repair that does nothing. I just drove my car for the first time since getting it back from the dealership and it started doing it again. Like wtfff. Does anyone on here know what could actually be wrong with my car?

Clearly your dealer has no good mechanics, so stop going there and find a reputable independent shop.
Your warranty is out, so it is no reason to pay high dealer rate and get that lousy service.

1 Like

Until you find a shop to fix this stop idling the vehicle and stay out of drive through food lines.

The radiator fan may not be turning on like it should when the engine is being idled for more than a few minutes. When you are driving down the road the airflow from the movement cools the radiator. But when not moving the coolant heats up very fast as there’s no airflow, so an electric fan is supposed to turn on then to maintain the coolant at the correct oprating temperature. If the fan doesn’t turn on this will cause the engine to overheat very rapidly. The AC won’t work, clouds of steam may come from the radiator, and an overheated engine may run very poorly. This can also do serious damage to the engine. So ask your shop to verify the radiator fans are working correctly. Next time it happens keep the engine running & pop the hood. The radiator fans should be spinning like a banshee. Are they?

1 Like

Thank you! I will have it check out

If you are still under extended warranty and if it is from Nissan, escalate to the Nissan corporate.
Contact number should be in your warranty booklet.

1 Like