Weber 32/36 carburetor, should i file the gasket surface?

I’ve got a Weber 32/36 dgev carb that I bought new a few years ago. It has the Weber logo cast on the body.
The center of the gasket surface on the lid of the carb has a slight ridge running around it.
The ridge is broken in a couple spots and might be enough to stop the gasket from sealing.
I’m wondering if I should file it smooth or if the ridge is there for a reason.

I would leave it alone. You have a 50/50 chance of wrecking the Weber. Use a thicker rubber gasket if it won’t seal.

Are you talking about the mating surface for the gasket that seals the top to the main body of the carb? I wouldn’t do anything to it, they made it that way for a reason.

Those ridges are there for a reason, to aid in sealing and retaining the gasket. Never file on a gasket surface regardless. The most aggressive approach should be something like a scotchbrite pad to just remove the remaining gasket and sealer if used.

Yeah it’s on the bottom of the lid where it meets the carb body.
The reason I asked is because the ridge is uneven in spots and I thought it might be a casting flaw.
Really though it’s probably small enough that the gasket is sealing around it.
Thanks for the replys.

Typically, you’ll see those cast in lines along the longer or narrower stretches of the sealing surface to keep the gasket from moving out/in and stay aligned between the sealing surfaces. The variation in height isn’t critical. That ridge will easily bite into a fiber or rubber gasket to complete the seal.

1 Like