Water to gas conversion kits

I have been reading a lot on the internet lately about these “water to gas” conversion kits for cars that say when installed they can save you up to 60% on your fuel bill. I have more than a healthy skepticism around all this. Do they really work?

The only thing they really do is take your money. They are a rip-off and will not work.

I say go for it. If you can save 60% on your fuel bill, why wouldn’t you do it? Please let us know how it works out for you.

I’d like to know more about this. Do you have a web site or recommend a specific product? I’m really interested!

garbage.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Money out.

There are three things you can do with water in a gasoline engine:

1. You can fumigate a water mist in to the intake manifold to cool the inlet air and take up space in the combustion chamber. This actually helps on some older engines in some climates, but on a modern motor vehicle, it won’t save you enough to pay for lugging around the extra water weight and hardware.
  2. You can dissociate water into hydrogen and oxygen using electricity from the car’s charging system and burn the hydrogen and oxygen along with your gasoline. This is a patently stupid idea, and if you cannot figure out why it is an energy-loosing scheme, then you probably failed 7th grade physical science. Not to fear, there are plenty of websites where physics teachers have taken the time to explain why this is a bad idea.
  3. You can put water in a tank that has calcium carbide in it. You burn the acetylene that is formed in the chemical reaction between the water and calcium carbide. This is an expensive way to make acetylene, the water is heavy, and you have to clean out the spent reactants and dispose of them, but if gasoline gets past about $10 a gallon, it might be fun to play with. This is the approach used by scam artists looking for ‘investors’ (read ‘suckers’) to invest in their amazing new invention (invented 200 years ago) that ‘burns water’.

You want to burn water in a car? Get a solar cell or a windmill, use the electricity you make to dissociate water at home (keeping the oxygen separate for safety reasons) and compress the hydrogen. Burn the hydrogen in a car designed to burn hydrogen. It will cost a lot, but you will have the bragging rights as the ‘greenest’ guy in town. You will even be able to look down your nose at the hybrids and electric cars and bathtub biofuel cars, because you will have a smaller environmental footprint than any of them.