Water leak in trunk of 2015 Accord

I have a new 2015 Accord. After a recent rain storm I found about an inch of water in the well where the spare tire is stored. I took it to the dealer and they ran numerous leak tests but could not reproduce the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue? What was the fix?

Since the car was parked during the storm, I don’t see how the water could have gotten in there except via one of the light assemblies or by getting past the gasket. In other words, it wasn’t blown up into the trunk from the roadway. The puzzler is that the carpet in the car was dry when I found the water. I googled this for hours and I don’t find others with 2015 trunk leak complaints. All the complaints are for earlier model Accords.

I’d simulate the storm by blasting the rear of the car with a hose, see if any water gets in. If it does, take it back, they should be able to find the leak.

Also blast the sunroof. Lots of Hondas have drain tubes for the sunroof which plug up with detritus from the environment and divert water into the spare tire well.

I had a similar issue with my G6 when I first got it. Water would be in the wheel well and no where else. I checked everything and even pulled the tail lights and resealed the seams in the sheet metal. What I finally found was a rubber grommet that had come loose after I had a hitch installed. You may have to spend some time on your back looking underneath for anything missing.

Take it back every week until you get to the magic number for the lemon law in your state, then force them to give you a new one. Really. Don’t delay because you could delay long enough to exceed the lemon law time period. You aren’t close yet with a 2015 model year car, but in a little over a year, you might be. Read about the lemon law in your state on line. In Maryland, the number of visits is 6, and all 6 can be for the same reason.

One more thing: get receipts for every visit. Honda USA needs to see that to authorize a car exchange if it gets that far.

^
Regarding a Lemon Law claim, I don’t know the exact details of that law in the OP’s (undisclosed) state of residence, but most of those statutes require that the defect has to be something that “materially affects the safety or drivability” of the vehicle.

That wording was inserted into most of those statutes in order to prevent situations where the vehicle mfr has to replace a car because of a bad audio system, or something else that is…less important…as compared to an engine management problem, or a brake problem, or something else that has the potential to lead to an accident or a safety problem.

While I wish the OP well and hope that he prevails in getting this problem fixed, I have to wonder…
Does a water leak constitute something that materially affects either the safety or the drivability of the car?

Hmmm…

This may sound extreme, but I’d consider getting into the trunk and having someone spray the trunk and roof areas down for 30 minutes…or until I found the leak. You should be able to see where it’s coming from.

One cautionary note though. The person on the hose is also the one who is going to let you out of the locked trunk.
If you forgot your wife’s last birthday or have ever said “gee honey those jeans make your butt look big”…don’t ask for her help. Three years ago I forgot her birthday and saying “Honey you lie so much about your age, I thought we were skipping this year”. She still holds that one against me still.

I’d ask my mom…they gotta love you.

Yosemite

Well, they have those handles inside now to open the trunk but it is a confined space making breathing difficult. Maybe the back seat folds down to be able to crawl in there. But really I had my tail lights off and the rear bumper and flushing the hose around trying to see where it was coming from. Just by chance I saw the gusher. If its not around the rear window, or the trunk gasket, you have to start looking around the rear bumper, lights, license plate, etc. which requires some disassembly. Maybe going to have to bring it to a body shop to have them look at it. You really need to keep that tire area dried out though or it’ll rust like crazy.

Information Requested:
Is The 2015 Accord A New Body Style Or Same As 2014, Etcetera?
Can Anybody Provide Answer, Please?
CSA

Same body style as 2014.

I almost got a new 1989 Taurus because the dealer consistently flubbed repairs on the AC compressor. I don’t think this would be considered a safety or driveability issue.

@jtsanders Thanks, JT.
CSA

The same identical issue has been happening to me. I have a 2015 Honda Accord sport. Every time it rains the wheel well is saturated with water to the end that is swooshes when driving. The weird thing is that the carpet in the trunk, protecting the well is dry as a bone. Not sure what to do about this.

On my Corolla anyway rain water that hits the rear window or the top of the trunk lid finds its way into a narrow channel surrounding the edge of the trunk opening that is clearly visible with the trunk lid open. The water runs in that channel until it reaches a spot just above the tail-light, at which point it runs over the outside of the tail light lens and exits the vehicle. So if that channel was clogged or the gasket on the edge of the channel wasn’t sealing or the taillight lens was leaking, this could happen. And the water could run from the tail light into the well without wetting the top surface carpet. The first place to look on my car anyway is where the stream of water leaves the channel and begins to run onto the top surface of the tail light. There’s a thick gasket at that point made with a caulking substance and that could easily become dislodged.

Is it still under warranty? If so, take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Same answers as a year ago. Mine turned out to be a grommet that had been dislodged when I had a hitch put on. So you either have to take it to a body shop where they can do some investigation or do it yourself with a garden hose. You may need to disassemble the lights and bumper and/or crawl underneath to look for potential areas for water to get in. If its still under warranty, the dealer needs to take a look first.