Water in Car from rain

My 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue had water on the passenger floor the morning of a heavy rain. All windows were closed. Does anyone have any thoughts. Thanks.

Jeff

check the belt mouldings. These are the mouldings where the top of the door shell meets the bottom of the door glass. If rotted water gets in, it did on mine.

You also might check the ac drain. Water can drive in through the exterior vent and if the ac drain is plugged flow onto the passenger floor.

I am going to add the drain for the area under the air vents right in front of the windscreen. If that drain gets clogged (leaves etc.) it can do it.

Plan A - How About An Oldsmobile TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) Written By Gm For Olds Technicians Addressing “Carpet Wet on Passenger Side of Vehicle” In 1999 & 2000 Intrigues ?

The bulletin confirms the suggestion made in a post by euryale1.

It says that it could be caused by stuff blocking the evaporator case drain. It doesn’t say where the drain is located, but you can usually find a short rubber elbow sticking out of the firewall behind the engine, under the hood, probably on the lower half of the firewall.

GM says to pull the elbow straight off and clean the drain out. I’d use a little piece of wire. It’s only 5" to the other side of the evaporator case. If this was the problem then you should get some bugs, leaves, or other debris to come out of there.

They recommend checking to be sure the elbow’s drain hole is open and spraying a little silicone on it to make it easier slipping it back in place.

No junk coming out ?
Plan B -
I don’t see a bulletin for doors on the Intrigue, but a couple of GM models from this era had doors that had problems with leaking “door moisture shields” (a large plastic panel behind the interior door trim panel). They are stuck to the door shell with a ribbon type of sealant and would sometimes develop a little “gap” in sealant and leak at the bottom.

Water ordinarily leaks into a door from the window slot. The moisture shield is supposed to channel the water to the bottom of the door where it flows out of vents on the bottom and outside. The leaking shield would allow water to enter the car between the lower edge of the interior trim panel and the door. A person inside can watch for leaks in this location while an assistant floods water from a hose onto the door window. Dabbing with a dry tissue is useful inside to help find the leak.

Removing the door trim and resealing the “gap” takes care of leaks in this location.

Jeff, I hope this helps. Repost if you have questions.

CSA, Proud Bonneville Owner / Operator

Thank You

Thank you. Lots of great suggestions.