Warranty coverage

When a rear view mirror falls off, taking part of the windshield with it…is that a warranty covered event??

That deoends on whether you can convince the dealer’s service rep that it wasn’t caused by abuse.

Why do you ask?

Did it really fall off or was it merely unable to stand up to some high-spirited fun & games? I would not blame the dealer’s service rep for turning down this one for warranty coverage. Try anyway.

My daugther’s 2002 subaru, which she has owned 2 months, rear view mirror came off in her hands while adjusting it, taking part of the windshield glass with it. The dealer says it is not covered under the warranty.

Yeah, I think I would doubt the ole fell off in my hand while I was adjusting it story. Were you present at the time?

ref

The part that fell off is simply a sticker. Its likely due to a windshield replacement prior to her ownership. And no not covered by warranty.

Not warrantable in any way, and especially on a 6 and 1/2 year old used car she’s only owned 2 months. The only exception would be if whoever sold it to her has a soft heart.

Normal adjustments of the rear view mirror are not going to break the windshield. Someone had to have really been yanking on it.

Are you sure it’s a piece of the windshield glass that came loose, not the metal shoe that the mirror mount slides onto? If it is the metal shoe, Loctite has a rearview mirror kit to glue the shoe back onto the windshield. I’ve had a few rearview mirrors come loose on me, most recently on my 93 Caprice, but never taking any glass with it.

Ed B.

Or have had their 6" ceramic Budda hanging from it. It’s amazing what some folks will hang from their mirrors.

What type of warranty coverage do you suppose would be in effect after at least 6 years? I don’t see how you could possibly expect coverage after that much time had elapsed.

If you open the glove compartment, you can read the details of all of the warranties that came with the car–all of which are long expired.

Good point. I’ve seen a few with a substantial part of their windshield vision blocked due to all of the debris hanging from the mirror.

If the mirror truly took part of the windshield with it, this might be covered under comprehensive insurance since it is glass breakage. Not many things are covered by a “lifetime” warranty, and if they were, the lifetime would be judged to be about 5 microseconds. It seems as though in today’s world, we want everything paid for by someone else. I buy insurance for major catastrophies, but have the maximum detuctible on auto and health insurance.

I have had rear view mirrors come loose from the windshield without breaking the glass. A kit to cement it back costs less than $5 and it is about a 15 minute job.

The warranty usually covers drive train and rust. Smog stuff too. I would think you were joking if I worked at the dealer and you asked me that question. If part of the windshield came off, the mirror was on there too good. The usual glue won’t break the glass.

The dealer is correct.

Why would anyone assume that a car that is at least 6 years old has a warranty in effect on anything, but particularly something like windshield glass? When the car was new, there was a “bumper-to-bumper” warranty that covered essentially everything–if there was a defect. That coverage expired at 3 years/36,000 miles, and did not cover damage caused by abuse.

Did the seller of the used car give a warranty? If so, read the terms of that warranty. If there was a warranty from the seller, it likely covered emissions and safety items necessary for passing a state inspection and it most likely expired after 30 days.

Please tell us what warranty coverage you thought would apply in this case.