Wanting a brand-new Jeep Renegade

I’m awaiting delivery of a Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk from another dealer for leasing. Today I asked where it was coming from since they didn’t have it on the lot - they said 180 or so mikes away. I have reservations about finalizing this deal as I wanted a brand new car to lease. Help needed please.

Two things 1. 180 miles is nothing 2. Leasing is the worst way to acquire a vehicle.

Thanks - I cannot afford to purchase, but your reply is helpful.

Also the lease starts from the miles ON the vehicle so 180 is nothing.

You may wish to reconsider your purchase and look at a used vehicle instead. I can’t afford to purchase a new car right now either, so I purchase used cars and work on them myself whenever possible

+1
Why anyone would want one of these faux “Jeeps”, which are made in Italy and are essentially the same vehicle as the disastrous Fiat 500, is beyond my understanding. This model is known for reliability that is below average, along with its owner satisfaction.

This imitation Jeep is bogged down by an unresponsive yet rough-shifting transmission, and its handling is mediocre–at best–as is the ride quality. The engine vibrates very annoyingly at idle speed, and the brakes are overly touchy.

I guess that its styling is sort of cute, but putting a cute body on the chassis and the mechanical systems of the just-plain-awful Fiat 500 does not make for a good or dependable vehicle.
:thinking:

1 Like

I get wanting your new car to be basically just off the truck with 8 miles or so but if they are getting he color and trim level you want within a day it’s worth it. You could wait months for the dealer to get one in.

My brother’s 2006 Legacy Wagon was driven almost 400 miles from a dealer in Idaho to his local dealer In Bellingham Wa, it was the last manual wagon in that trim package on the west coast. The warranty and your lease will start with the mileage at delivery.

Mom bought a Mazda back in 1990 with 200+ test drive miles on it and kept the car for 19yrs, adding 194,000 miles to the odometer during her ownership.

The Jeep you want is 180 miles away. You could pick it up yourself or have them deliver it for you. 180 miles still counts as a new vehicle, but over 400 doesn’t, at least if it is a GM car. Be sure to inspect it closely when you take delivery to make sure it wasn’t damaged during transit. If you don’t find problems at delivery, you will likely be charged for them when you turn the car in.

Thanks. - That was my thought exactly. I could look the car over but may not detect apparent or non-apparent damage during transit. The dealer ordered it for me but did not tell me the vehicle was coming from 180 miles away; therefore, I have reservations about the deal. Wouldn’t have ordered it if I knew in advance the distance it would travel.

Thanks. I’m mulling it over, as I don’t know if I’ll be able to detect any apparent or non-apparent defects or damage during transit from 180 miles away.

The vehicles on the lot have traveled thousands of miles via ship, rail and transport truck, another 180 miles is insignificant.

Did you ask about the method of transport? Sometimes a dealer lot worker is sent to drive the vehicle, other times it may be moved by transport truck.

1 Like

Sounds like you need to just pick up the vehicle at the manufacturing plant. I know it can be done, but good luck with that.

Don’t worry. It’s a Jeep, and if it lives up to the reputation of its Fiat brethren it will have multiple defects both “apparent or non-apparent” probably the least of which will be transportation related.

This is true. When I sold cars at a Nissan dealership. If I was having a lean month or didn’t have any solid prospects on the radar, I would volunteer to do a dealer transfer, it was easy money. My dealership paid $250 (plus meals) if the round trip was under 300 miles. If it was a longer trip (overnight ,which was rare), They paid you $300-$500 depending on distance plus accomodations/expenses. It was easy money. Sometimes the fates smile upon you and you get an out of town deal, where you get both the commission for the vehicle, and the delivery/transfer fee. I had that happen to me once, where I sold a strangely-optioned Titan to a gentleman in Nashville, some 9 hours and 600 miles away. I drove from about 3 in the afternoon until around 11:00, stopped at a Hampton Inn, then delivered the truck the following morning to the buyer’s home. As it turned out he buyer was the next door neighbor of Al Gore. They gave me a ride to the local dealership, and I picked up a dealer trade for the return trip. I did quite well on that deal, the guy who bought the Titan really wanted that specific option configuration, so I was able to hold gross pretty well, I got the full $500 for the trip, and another few hundred for doing the dealer trade on the return trip.

2 Likes