Want To Drive Like A Jerk ? Then Wear An Idiot Sign!

Let’s bring back stocks and pillory.

What I don’t understand is how she can plead not guilty.
She did it. She’s on video. The cop caught her in the act.

The point of the video, MB, was to show what happens when you go too far in the other direction. It’s supposed to be an extreme (funny) example. If you worked in higher education in an honors program, like I do, you’d meet parents who make the ones in the video seem realistic.

After seeing what she did on Keith’s video, I think she is getting off easy with public humiliation, and I think the public humiliation aspect of her punishment is likely to have a lasting impact.

I think standing on a bus stop with a sign on and feeling like an idiot might drive home the point that what she did was idiotic. Hurting someone in the wallet is painful, but it’s a pain that goes away quickly and the lesson is soon forgotten.

I disagree with humiliating children for misbehavior, and I remember being treated to this as a kid as well and how it felt. But for adults, it might just be the best way to let them know they’re acting like children.

I was going to say that she’s an inconsiderate moron but I’ll drop the moron part and just think of her as an inconsiderate, non-caring boor. Another story states that she’s apparently done this before and catching her was part of a sting operation.

JMHO, but I think her fine and suspension is too lenient; especially considering her track record and the audacity to show up and plead not guilty. The judge should have hammered her for the maximum because I don’t see a 250 dollar fine being much of a deterrent.

That being said, I’m still uneasy with a judge doing things like this as it opens up the gate to judicial abuse.

What the cops should have done as part of the sting is throw out the stop strip and shred a set of what could be expensive run flat tires…

“Stupid is,as stupid does” this reminds me of people who run around speed bumps at malls,so they can speed,only more serious-Kevin

Pleading not guilty to the charges, even when you’re caught on film, just goes to show how people aren’t willing to take responsibility for their actions.
And to be fair, thanks to the internet, more and more people are talking about it, further humiliating the woman. Though, she might see this attention as a good thing, too, and not learn anything from it; even should she do it again and run a small child over.

Pleading not guilty to the charges, even when you're caught on film, just goes to show how people aren't willing to take responsibility for their actions.

Yes, but there seems to be some level of opinion in here that she really thinks she’s not guilty. Unless she’s clinically insane, that’s almost certainly not true, but pleading not guilty opens the door for a plea deal down the road. Once you plead guilty, you’re stuck. Plead not guilty, and you might be able to cut a deal with the prosecutor that will make things easier on you, or you might be able to appeal the case - something you can’t do if you plead guilty.

There also may be a plan to challenge the charges based on how the “stop for a school bus” law is written in that state. It may say something like “if your vehicle and the school bus are sharing the same street, you can’t pass the bus if it’s lights are flashing.” Well, OK, but she was on the sidewalk, not the street, and so they should have charged her with driving on the sidewalk rather than violating the school bus lights (or so her attorney would argue).

Not saying any of these are reasonably legitimate, but I doubt that she does not believe she drove on the sidewalk around the bus.

Silly and will not improve driving behavior. I don’t want to mention the Cleveland demographics but it might explain it. Stockades, dunking tanks, and public flogging were found to be ineffective years ago. This is not going to help rewire the brain-I suspect it is genetic.

She got off easy. Here in Ontario the fine is minimum $400 and can go to $2,000. Also six demerit points. If you are dumb enough to get caught a second time it’s $1,000 to $4,000. Not to mention that little bump up in liability insurance costs that’s coming…

I am guessing she would have got the max for that asinine move.

“I’ve seen and read far too many incidents of children being publically humiliated for punishment”

I think humiliating an adult is a good idea.
Low cost to the taxpayer and effective. Much much cheaper than jail.
I think humiliating a child is a very bad idea.
Apples and oranges.

“not guilty” means that someone wants a chance to explain and net necessarily that they believe they really are not guilty. We still have no idea what happened in court, since her lawyers wisely instructed her to keep quiet. Anything she said could and would have been used against her.

And I would have been first in that line. I’m glad they caught her and I hope the police keep a lookout for others that play the same game.

Why I don’t think public humiliation won’t work.

Where I work out at every morning every once in a while I’ll see a guy wearing a tee-shirt with a sequence of numbers and letters across the chest area. The shirts I’ve seen so far are of different colors and the numbers are different.

I asked one of my lifting buddies what the numbers stood for.

He told me they are their Prison number. The different colors represent the prison they were in.

The not only were NOT humiliated by going to prison…they were PROUD of it.

I just saw this on NBC news.
Turns out this woman did the sidewalk maneuver repeatedly, day after day.
The bus driver finally video’d her and turned the video over to the police.
She also happened to be driving right by the emergency exit of a day care center.

Just saw tonights news on TV. There is a film segment showing her on the corner holding a sign.
13NOV2012

Regarding the pride of serving a prison term, I am reminded of Al Bundy’s pride in that game winning play in high school while a great many are proud of their college days, etc. I guess if a man has nothing else to be proud of he can make the best of graduating from a penal institution. Hopefully it was a turning point toward an honest and productive life and not graduate studies in crime.

The bumper sticker used to be funny. IF YOU DON’T LIKE MY DRIVING STAY OFF THE SIDEWALK. Things are just too real these days.

Huh, maybe she’s not such an idiot after all. In Minnesota the fine for passing a school bus with its stop arm out is quite severe, like $500-1000. Driving on the sidewalk though is merely careless driving.

She got off easy. Way too good for her. Was she talking on her cell phone?

Some vehicles already come with a drive-like-an-idiot sign, like BMW. There’s a guy in the condos at the other end of my street who drives one and has the whole neighborhood ticked off.

SUV’s like this woman drives don’t have an “SUV” badge, so maybe her car needs to have an idiot sign posted on it.

Geeez. We can’t even do that in the Army anymore.
I was a firm advocate of Soldiers wearing a big clock around their neck if they were ever late for formation. The Inspector General’s office made me stop because it was demeaning.
F**king rooty-poots. I’m glad I’m retiring in seven months. I don’t like the Army anymore.

Hey az, I had a little something I used to do when I was in the Navy. When ever I had section leader duty, I would only call each name once at muster. No second chance. Then I would carry out any business needed and dismiss the troops. This was a reward for those who showed up on time, my musters went fast.

Then the stragglers would show up hoping that I would not put them on report. i always came with a list of s***y little jobs that needed to be done and I would assign those jobs to the stragglers. This was not punishment or disciplinary action, these were just jobs that I needed to assign to someone anyway and I would make it clear that these were not punishment. Needless to say, it wasn’t long before word got around that you did not want to be late when I was the section leader.